Broken laptop- data recovery. Please help (advice needed!!).

Nick_593

Hi, my laptop recently blew up with a lot of university work on there and some media files I would like to recover also.

I have spoken to people in PC-world (only place open that can help at the moment) who quoted me £80 to recover the data, and I would have to wait three weeks.

The broken laptop is a Toshiba Equium A300D-16 C, which was bought around four years ago.
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....dProductPage.do?service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=1056622

I have been informed through a friend that the procedure for recovering my data may be relatively straight forward and I only have to upload it onto a new laptop?

If so, what hardware would be needed?

Could someone give me some good advice on the best way to recover my data (looking for the cheapest option possible as I'm a student and pretty skint at the moment. Also need to invest in another laptop).

Thank-you!!

Last edited:

Nick_593

Hi, thanks for you're reply. How would I go about using this to recover my data (a bit naive to technical stuff, but trying to learn)?

Thanks

P.S. Its a 4 year old hard drive (not sure if that matters).

P.P.S, the laptop the data is on is completely unfunctional, so wont boot up at all.

Nick_593

This is the info of the hard-drive spec from the website;

capacity : 250 GB
certification : S.M.A.R.T.
drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

Would this correspond to 2.5 inch sata?..

Otherwise where do I look to find out?

Cheers

P.S. ///[Just taken hard drive out of the laptop (first time doing this!). Info on the disk says HDD2H02 B UK01 T
DC+5V 1.0A.

Cant see anything saying 2.5inch Sata Hdd..]

Thanks

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
This is the info of the hard-drive spec from the website;

capacity : 250 GB
certification : S.M.A.R.T.
drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

Would this correspond to 2.5 inch sata?..

Otherwise where do I look to find out?

Cheers
That info doesn't tell you if the drive is sata or ide.Best take the drive out of your laptop to confirm,you will need to do that anyway.

Nick_593

Huge thanks for help with this issue. I've taken to hard drive out;

The whole thing is pretty much 2.5 inches in diameter (slightly over by 0.1 or 2!, but not sure that matters?).

I've just taken some photos of the disk to make sure everything is correct, as I cant see SATA or IDE anywhere..

The hard drive reads;
-HDD2H02 B UK01 T
-DC+5V 1.0A.

But just in case I've upload some photos, as hopefully that will solve it.

IMAG1120.jpg

IMAG1124.jpg

IMAG1125.jpg

IMAG1126.jpg

Does this explain which one is needed?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Nick_593

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
Either one should do it but the first option does not mention having the relevant USB cable though one does expect that it does have one included.

The 2nd option includes all you need, that said there are sometimes issues with caddies like these that rely on USB power, sometimes the power provided is not enot enough to power the drive, if that were the case you would need a caddy with its own power source.

Might as well mention that you probably need to ensure you use the Powered USB interface on the laptop you use to connect to the drive.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

I carried out the exact job you want to do the other day on my nephews new Christmas laptop and I used a Caddy just like the other folks have mentioned above.

When you connect the Caddy with the old HDD inserted, it should appear as if you have attached a normal external hard drive.

One thing you need to be aware of however, is that when you attempt to open any of the folders/documents contained on the old drive, you may receive an error message saying that you do not have the correct rights to open them.

This is normal, but you just need to be patient as your new PC will automatically take ownership of the files (progress will be shown as an expanding bar in the address window at the top)

Eventually you will be able to open everything, and drag and drop/copy and paste everything across to your new PC

Good Luck :)