Build advice

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If it's just for gaming you're not getting any benefit from the 5900X or the 3080. As suggested above, in CSGO at around 1080p the 2060 is going to smash your requirements. The 3080 is a huge waste of cash and time.

No matter the game or use, the 3080 is a massive over-spend for 1080p.

A sensible buy at this level would be the 5800X with the 2060, earmarking an upgrade to the next iteration of the 3060Ti at the next juncture.

This would allow you to prop up the rest of the build.

BTW, regardless of the CPU you choose.... cooling is going to have a massive impact. You really need the H100i RGB Platinum/Capellix on either of those chips. Just thinking that it's something you may have restricted your spending on when it's really unwise to do so.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
thanks for your insights, the rig will also be used for my work and for video editing/streaming.

i checked benchmarks of what I wanted to play with these parts and I don't think I agree that the 3080 is overspend for 1080p. This is personal preference anyway, I'm not sure what you find acceptable in terms of FPS or 1% lows. Regardless I didn't buy these parts without looking at the alternatives or researching their potential.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thanks for your insights, the rig will also be used for my work and for video editing/streaming.

i checked benchmarks of what I wanted to play with these parts and I don't think I agree that the 3080 is overspend for 1080p. This is personal preference anyway, I'm not sure what you find acceptable in terms of FPS or 1% lows. Regardless I didn't buy these parts without looking at the alternatives or researching their potential.
Userbenchmark per chance?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

It's definitely an overspend when you consider the limitations put on the rest of the build to allow for it.

The 3080 is a huge overspend for 1080p. You would need to be a top 100 player in the world to even consider justifying that sort of spend rationally. I get that you maybe want it but I would be amazed if you got better gaming results with a 3080 over a 2060 in CSGO.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
It's definitely an overspend when you consider the limitations put on the rest of the build to allow for it.

The 3080 is a huge overspend for 1080p. You would need to be a top 100 player in the world to even consider justifying that sort of spend rationally. I get that you maybe want it but I would be amazed if you got better gaming results with a 3080 over a 2060 in CSGO.
the 3080 isn't for csgo.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
Got any links? I don't recall Steve showing 1% lows of CSGO at 1080p on the 3080.
he shows them for the 5900x for cs, as its heavily cpu intensive. the gpu is for rdr2, msfs, rfactor, Assetto Corsa etc.

Last edited: