Build advice

CROSSY

1080p 240hz is 497 664 000 pixels per second.
4k 60hz is 497 664 000 pixels per second, so same.
4k 144hz is 1 194 393 600 pixels per second, so more than double.
Ultrawide 2k (3440x1440) at 144hz is 713 318 400 pixels per second.
Ultrawide 2k (3440x1440) at 100HZ is 495 360 000 pixels per second, same as 4k 60, almost

Just to give you an idea
None of that makes any sense to me I'm afraid I'm not really a techy person I just know how to use things and that's as far as it goes :L Would there be performance issues if I were to use a 1080p monitor like Alienware AW2518H or BenQ XL2546? Need something that would hold high fps whilst streaming. 4k doesn't interest me at all.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
None of that makes any sense to me I'm afraid I'm not really a techy person I just know how to use things and that's as far as it goes :L Would there be performance issues if I were to use a 1080p monitor like Alienware AW2518H or BenQ XL2546? Need something that would hold high fps whilst streaming. 4k doesn't interest me at all.
It would just be a complete and absolute waste of a 3080

You could get the same performance from a 2060 Super as a 3080 at 1080p. It's a crime against the hardware gods and a real insult to anyone's sanity, I'm offended

loso64

well the numbers are to give you an idea comparing different resolutions. The resolution you mentioned 1080p at 240hz is as demanding to run full potential as a basic 4k is.

People are suggesting to go 4k 144hz for that GPU, which is more than double the demand. So even tho the number themselves might not tell you too much because you are not techy, you can make an idea how demanding is to run certain monitor fully just based on which number is bigger.

so you could run 1080p at 240hz, but you would not be utilizing the potential of that GPU as it is capable of double that.

TL;DR if you wanna run 1080p 240hz, grab weaker gpu and save some money, or upgrade your monitor to at least 2k high refresh rate

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

CROSSY

well the numbers are to give you an idea comparing different resolutions. The resolution you mentioned 1080p at 240hz is as demanding to run full potential as a basic 4k is.

People are suggesting to go 4k 144hz for that GPU, which is more than double the demand. So even tho the number themselves might not tell you too much because you are not techy, you can make an idea how demanding is to run certain monitor fully just based on which number is bigger.

so you could run 1080p at 240hz, but you would not be utilizing the potential of that GPU as it is capable of double that.

TL;DR if you wanna run 1080p 240hz, grab weaker gpu and save some money, or upgrade your monitor to at least 2k high refresh rate
Ah right. My setup right now I got use a BenQ XL2411P, GTX 1660 Ti, i7-8700. Most games I go over the 144Hz rate but Warzone I average 100 on low settings. My idea was to make the XL2411P my second monitor for this new build.

However I'm kind of in mixed emotions from what I've been researching and reading all advice on this thread and out. I've seen people with the exact setup I'm planning to get which is the Ryzen 5900x with the 3080Ti and they're using the AW2518h monitor. I've been hearing the term bottleneck a lot and I understand it a little bit but no 100%. So would the card bottleneck the monitor or would it be fine?

And also, in terms of if I want to stick with the card but need a decent monitor which 2k monitor with 1ms would you recommend within a £500 budget. And if I were to stick with my monitor of choice (AW2518h) which card would you recommend to downgrade to which would keep a consistent performance and FPS on old and newer games whilst gaming and streaming for?

Would bottleneck it massively I personally would go 1440p ultrawide or 4k with a standard 3080 the 3080ti in my opinion compared to a standard 3080 is not worth the increase in price currently

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you keep your old monitor then you downgrade to a 3070Ti ... not because @SpyderTracks is wrong about the right card being a 3070 but because the 3070Ti is £6 more so you might aswell get it. Price differential between 3070Ti and 3080Ti is around £550.
Oh yeah, at that price the 3070ti is well worth it, good spot 👍🏼

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In terms of monitor recommendations in that price bracket, you have several choices:
  • 1440p 144Hz VA monitors, such as the AOC Q27G2U (flat screen) or the Samsung G5 (curved screen) for around £260 to £300
  • 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors, such as the 27GL83A-B for around £440. IPS panels have much better colour accuracy than the VA panels, though worse contrast, and are often considered the gold standard in terms of panel type.
  • UWQHD 144Hz VA monitors, such as the AOC CU34G2X/BK for around £450. This has a much larger, wider screen.
Personally I'd want the wide-screen one, but others will have other preferences.

CROSSY

The monitor would bottleneck the card which is a massive waste of the gpu. A 3070 would be more appropriate.
Would bottleneck it massively I personally would go 1440p ultrawide or 4k with a standard 3080 the 3080ti in my opinion compared to a standard 3080 is not worth the increase in price currently
If you keep your old monitor then you downgrade to a 3070Ti ... not because @SpyderTracks is wrong about the right card being a 3070 but because the 3070Ti is £6 more so you might aswell get it. Price differential between 3070Ti and 3080Ti is around £550.
Ah right I'm starting to get a better understanding now, some reason I was thinking that 1080p would cause poor performance or damage the components but in fact I'm just wasting extra money on something that I won't use for what it's purpose is for (4k). I guess I've been making rookie mistakes with regards to customising a PC, was looking at streamers builds for inspiration at first and I'm assuming they bottleneck their builds to a degree as they can afford it and some cases they're gifted builds? I feel like a right numpty :ROFLMAO:.

Once PCS has switched my build over I'll defo go down to the 3070 Ti. Appreciate everyone in the thread for helping out!

CROSSY

I'm back unfortunately :( I got 1 last question I was just checking the GPUs out on the site and saw the Asus Rog 3070 Ti what's the difference between that and the normal 3070 Ti? Except the price difference I saw

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm back unfortunately :( I got 1 last question I was just checking the GPUs out on the site and saw the Asus Rog 3070 Ti what's the difference between that and the normal 3070 Ti? Except the price difference I saw
Better cooling, perhaps slight power differences, perhaps marginally, marginally better performance, probably prettier.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
And a little bit better parts, not huge difference unless you gonna overclock
And here I come swooping in with the ‘boring but useful to know’ info… should you choose to overclock the GPU, you invalidate your warranty.
311D531D-E290-46EF-B003-87049E8C1DD1.jpeg

Elhan

Bronze Level Poster