Build quality & returns policy

Baughn

I'm planning to get a new laptop, once the second-generation i7s are actually available, but I'm a bit worried about the build quality. As I do a lot of writing on my laptop, keyboard quality is important to me; in particular, I can't abide keyboards that have give in the middle, squeaky hinges, or other mechanical issues. I don't mind paying extra for this, but I have trouble finding anyone who'll give me the option.

This has in the past led me to buy only apple's laptops (and then proceed to install linux on them..), on the basis that their build quality is consistently good. Unfortunately getting linux running well has only gotten harder over the years, and I don't expect the situation will improve. It's still an option, though.

So, I'm interested in both any other buyers' comments on the build quality of PCS' top-spec laptops, and.. also, from the administrators, a comment on your returns policy. If I were to buy a laptop from you, it'd have to come with a promise that it is either properly built in this manner, or I can return it - and yes, I'm aware that this is not your normal policy for custom laptops, but if you believe that your builds are good then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm looking to spend quite a lot of money, here. Broken-by-design is just as bad as the other kinds of broken, and the lack of any comments on keyboard quality has me worried; I don't consider "average" to be good enough in that area, or any other; "top-spec" should cover the entire machine.

Maestro

Hello,

I work for PCS so I am obviosuly going to say that our laptops are great.

However I genuinly feel that this is the case. There are many posts on here about previous generations of laptops, but there wont be any about the upcoming sandy bridge variants as we havent recieved our stock yet (sandy bridge issue delayed this, current eta mid to late march).

What I can say however is that, you do have a 7 day cooling off period after receiving your order. So long as it is in the condition it was when recieved, if you dont like the laptop then you can return it for a full refund (please remeber to keep all the packaging during this time in case you do return).

Baughn

All right.

The policy actually seems to say it must be "unopened", but if you're fine with it then I certainly won't complain. Except possibly about the wait to get one, but that's not your fault.. about a month now before you'll get them now, wasn't it?

..I'm a little annoyed at Intel right now, I'll freely admit this.

Meds

..I'm a little annoyed at Intel right now, I'll freely admit this.

You're not the only one! There's probably millions of people across the world who have already got their new Sandy Bridge PC/Laptop to be told that it could develop a fault... gutted. It was all blown out of proportion anyway, the call back on the laptop chassis was precautionary - better to be safe than sorry!

You are ok to open the box etc, just don't damage it or throw it away. Oh and make sure you don't remove any protective film etc until you've made a decision on the keyboard :)