Build v Rma

cb1173

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, please dont get me wrong if it looks like i am complaining i will try not to but have a question regarding new orders v Rma's.

Are the stocks for new build different to the stocks for repairs? the reason i ask is this.

My laptop is at pcs for repair, i am informed the motherboard is at fault and stock is expected in 3-5 working days time then my laptop will be repaired, (obviously this may be in a queue depending how many other systems are waiting repair for out of stock items.
However if i go to the build page i can order my spec laptop and select 3 day fast track and there is no message about anything being out of stock.

Now, if a motherboard is out of stock, not expecting any for minimum 3 days, how can they build a system within 3 days? :confused:

So:
1. Do pcs have different stock for new builds and rma's?
2. Do new builds take precedent over existing customer repairs?
3. Is somthing or somebody lying?

In conclusion i could order a new machine and have it by the weekend but my repaired machine may not be until next weekend if i am lucky. And no, my laptop was not old, i had it for 3 days before it went back.

thanks
Chris

Gorman

Author Level
For the most part different stock. The motherboard is a chassis component which we buy in whole, we also buy in parts for spare repairs. New builds will be built into a chassis, repairs will have only the offending component replaced.

Although yes it may be possible to cannibalise a fresh chassis for the needed part this wont be done if we are expecting parts in soon as it makes no sense from a labour / time / business point of view and would probably not result in a faster turn around for the rma unless there was a significant delay on parts.