burglar alarm

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Should I get one? Amco offers monitored security systems for £15 a month
[video=youtube;xi4v7BbnhGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi4v7BbnhGE[/video]
Anyone got one? any advice?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Pro-tip. Whatever you do, don't get one that automatically calls out the plod if it goes off. Far more trouble than it is worth :)

They are good to have of course, though as a very good source once told me, you are just as well off getting an alarm box from somewhere and a few stickers for the door/window etc in terms of warding off potential burglars :)

steaky360

When we moved house we were looking at an alarm system and considered the monitored services but don't think its worth it really. Regardless of whether someone's monitoring the premises it makes little difference if folk are already there taking stuff. If the system then calls the police and they respond quickly it might make a difference. But at the end of the day once someone's inside its already too late.

DED's advice of a 'dummy' alarm bell is actually pretty good, we ended up going with a local company who installed our alarm system (non-monitored but it does phone us if the alarms go off - so we can go reset it/investigate) they put a dummy bell on the rear of the house and the actual bell on the front.

Androcles

Rising Star
Not worth the extra cost for reasons already stated. As said get a dummy box and some stickers, you want to deter them from breaking in, not just tell you when they're in and its already too late.

What i did in my old place was put up a dummy box and stickers as well as a dummy camera over the door, i then bought a couple of cheap remote controlled motion sensor alarms (about £8 each) and put them in the most likely rooms the thief would break in through, they're cheap and make a hell of a noise, more than enough to scare the crap out of any burglar if they get through a window.

steaky360

Another nail in the coffin (so to speak) would be the potential for improving your home insurance costs is vastly overrated (in my experience) our insurance went down a whopping £1 a month after telling them we had a maintained alarm system installed.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
£500 one off payment + £15 a month with police response or a non monitored system for around £650 + £80 maintenance fee when required

steaky360

£500 one off payment + £15 a month with police response or a non monitored system for around £650 + £80 maintenance fee when required

So after first year Monitored system costs £1100 and non-monitored system costs £730...
Two years £1280
Three years £810
etc.

No brainer for me, but you might think the 'monitored' part makes it worthwhile :) It's for your piece of mind at the end of the day.

Rakk

The Awesome
So after first year Monitored system costs £1100 and non-monitored system costs £730...
Two years £1280
Three years £810
etc.
Steaky I think your maths may be a little off :)
First year Monitored = 500 + 12x15 = 500+180 = 680 :)
Second year (inc previous years) = 680+180 = 860
Third year (inc previous years) = 860+180 = 1040
Unmonitored = 650
And whenever you need them to do something its 80quid presumably - the amount of times you need this could vary wildly dependent on various things I guess

Last edited:

steaky360

Steaky I think your maths may be a little off :)
First year Monitored = 500 + 12x15= 500+180 680 :)
Second year (inc previous years)= 680+180=860
Third year (inc previous years)=860+180=1040
Unmonitored =650
And whenever you need them to do something its 80quid presumably - the amount of times you need this could vary wildly dependent on various things I guess

Hah! Indeed it is ... exceptionally off... not sure what I was thinking.
brainfart1.jpg

My point I guess remains the same, I'd assume the maintenance was a contract (ie they'll come replace batteries n what not when required and that costs £80 for the call out). But it could be different :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Granted it will depend on your area (i.e. how worried you are about actually getting burgled), but here is the DED experience of monitored alarms (combined plod and fire):

Alarm lifespan: 13 years
Actual Incidents: 0
Police call outs: 3
Fireman Sam call out: 2

Reasons for burglar alarm call outs
- Prat of a house guest pressed the "panic button" near the front door thinking it would open the garage...
- BT customer service cut phone line when dealing with Broadband issue...even after being asked not to as it would set off alarm...
- BT customer service cut phone line when dealing with Broadband issue...even after being asked not to as it would set off alarm... ... ... :)

Reasons for smoke alarm call outs
- Cooking. It happens (think of all the time your smoke alarm has gone off when making toast/roast/being curious about how things burn (no? just me? ok), and you simply pressed the little red button...well now a shiny red Simon Snorkel will come a calling)
- After decorating, certain parent was removing the dust cap from the smoke alarm (i.e. the thing that is meant to STOP the alarm going off due to dust particles etc) and proceeded to pull entire smoke alarm off the ceiling. What I found most strange about this one is that I understand that tampering with a burglar alarm would call out the plod (because someone could be trying to get around the alarm system to come steal my PCS PC (they will of course be foiled because it is really heavy...although does have nice carry handles...hmm)). However, with the smoke alarm, who exactly do they think is tampering with it? The fire? The smoke? Unless my name has changed to Winchester, I am pretty sure they don't do that. Anyway, all ended up being relatively funny, because we know the commander of the fire engine, who proceeded to make mum feel as bad as possible about it for a few minutes before telling her they hadn't actually been called out all day, so no harm done :)

I am not sure I really understand those prices...how can it end up potentially more expensive NOT to have monitored? Surely there should be a maintenance cost for a monitored alarm in addition to the sub fee you pay them to come out when noone is robbing you and there isn't a fire? :)

TL;DR DON'T DO IT!

:D

DED

keynes

Multiverse Poster
£500 is a one off or equivalent to a gtx 780 ti :) whether I go for monitored or not I have to pay a similar amount. The expenses on monitoring is around £180 a year which includes maintenance twice a year, police response and fire/smoke alarms also monitored.

jimmymac

I suppose the thoughts around if you need a monitored alarm or not should be more around your personal situation and where you live rather than just a general "is it worth it".

IF you live in an area where you think you might be at risk, thats not to see a run down area, more an area that might be more likely to be targeted due to affluence then a monitored alarm might be worthwhile, if historically there has not been much of an issue and its more for peace of mind then a non monitored option would be better.

We had a full alarm setup in our previous house, not monitored and it only went off once in 11 years, that was down to me forgetting to pop a balloon downstairs after a party and it set off a motion sensor. Otherwise the only maintenance in that time was me replacing the backup battery after about 10 years, so once installed it was no issue, cost nothing and the monitored side wasnt needed.

We have only recently moved to a new home which doesn't have an alarm, its a pretty low risk area but for my wifes peace of mind I will likely install one. I have yet to decide if I will get someone in to do it or if I might just go for one of the highly recommended Yale self install systems, either way I doubt I will want anythiing monitored but as I say above, that all down to personal situation

bigben

Master Poster
Although now that people don't often walk around in heavy plate armour with chainmail they aren't quite so useful. Also, doubt keynes' neighbours (wish Google would stop telling me I was spelling that wrong) would be overly impressed.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Although now that people don't often walk around in heavy plate armour with chainmail they aren't quite so useful. Also, doubt keynes' neighbours (wish Google would stop telling me I was spelling that wrong) would be overly impressed.

Neighbours are too friendly hence the security system.