Buying parts from PCS

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Can anyone share with me their experience of buying components from PCS?

I would like to buy an upgraded GPU from them as I've heard they will be good on price and obviously the customer service is excellent.

Was slightly put off today though, I rung up and after 15mins of waiting I got through. The guy at the other end really didn't sound like he knew what he was doing very much. I was asking about dimensions of the 560 ti and where the PCI-E power connectors are on the card etc, which I only got after being on hold for 5mins.

Anyways not worried about that, PCS customer service has been brilliant at all stages.

The thing that I wanted to ask about was the prices of the cards I was quoted on the phone were more than on the configurator. I selected no GPU, I already have one, and then noted the price difference when I selected various versions of the GTX 560. However these prices went up by about £12-13 when I spoke to the advisor on the phone.

Does anyone know if they charge an admin fee or anything like that for sending out individual components? Just curious as to why its more for buying an individual component than to have them put it in for me?

The prices still seemed competitive to other retailers, but just got me wondering...

Any ideas?

Corfate

Author Level
The extra cost may be delivery charges?

I've bought a case from PCS which was packed and shipped off that same day, arriving at my house the next day. So i would highly recommend doing this, as you get the warranty with the item.

Edit; Thought i should add it cost £6 for my delivery. I can't think of why it's £12-£13 though, sorry.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
The thing that I wanted to ask about was the prices of the cards I was quoted on the phone were more than on the configurator. I selected no GPU, I already have one, and then noted the price difference when I selected various versions of the GTX 560. However these prices went up by about £12-13 when I spoke to the advisor on the phone.

I believe the components prices on the configurators prices for a component change depending on what else you have in your spec as well, least it did the last time I checked, so I think it's possible you just get a slightly better deal when ordering with a whole system, and the deals are slightly better for the more expensive systems.

Note this theory is just my speculation and from looking at prices for one or two things on differing Intel builds, nothing too conclusive :)

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the responses chaps!

Its not delivery charges, because as you say, that is £6 and I was quoted the price "plus delivery" anyway.

Maybe as you say Rakk the components prices are affected by each other? Ive done it on a basic build, on my own spec that I ordered too and both times the "price" came out at £168 for a GTX 560 Ti 1GB for example.

The chap on the phone told me it would be £180 plus delivery.

Maybe an admin fee then? Maybe he read the wrong price? Who knows lol!

Corfate

Author Level
You could send a message to gorman or Meds asking the exact price, or asking if there is an unexpected cost? :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
From my experience the first card is always cheaper, to get the true price normally just see the difference in price wen adding a second card.

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Meds has informed me that the pricing structure is different when dealing with individual components vs components within a system. The "extra" cost will cover things like admin fees etc.

The prices quoted on the phone are correct, so the configurator isn't really to way to go to price up single components, you need to call them :)