calling Windows Experts

I have installed win 7 Pro 64 bit, i clearly have a few problem in that software that was loading ok, is now not, also windows takes ages to close and is not particularly fast loading. My questions are;

With regard to win repair console

1. does it impact upon service packs when you run it?

2. Does it impact upon drivers, in particular video drivers?

3. what exactly does it seek to correct?

Thanks

Pete

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
You could just try to do a System Restore, this attempts to revert Windows back to an earlier state.

If you know the day when you first installed windows then take it back to then, or find out when you installed graphics drivers etc.

Those drivers could even be the problem, something may have not been installed correctly, you have options in regards to how far back you should go.

If the drivers were not installed after the date which you choose to restore to, then the drivers won't be there, now will any files/folders created after that date.

If you have any .exe files and installation files for programs back them up, I have a folder specifically for organising and storing installation files in case my program messes up. This is useful but you will need to update, so you may be installing an older version from your hard drive depending on how many/if any versions of said programs have come out since.

I would just reinstall Windows if in doubt. Back up all your files, if your main hard drive is full and you don't run diagnostings then your computer will be slow.

It seems like your computer has just slowed down but it doesn't sound like a major issue.

1. Perform Disk Defragmentation, this will create space on your hard drive.

2. Disk Cleanup, this attempts to clear space by deleting unneccessary and temporary files.

3. Virus Scan (full) viruses could be slowing down your PC.

4. Clear space, delete things which you don't need.

5. Errorchecking on the main hard drive, it may help with this issue it may not but it something which should be done anyway.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good program, it's free

Malwarebytes Anti Malware does not stop viruses coming in, it scans and finds stuff that MSE and Norton don't (sometimes).

I don't think it should impact on service packs, here is why.

On anything where I have attempted to fix corrupted files, it does not delete the files. If you perform error checking on your hard drive it will have an option for ''attempt to fix bad sectors'' something like that, or it recovers files, but it does not delete them.

Something would have to be uninstalled first, even if they are uninstalled by Windows Repair it would only be for the purpose of reinstalling them so as to install them fresh, without errors.

You can find tutorials online of how to start the recovery console, how to repair windows etc, but do the things I put first, and if it helps, it's time and effort saved if you take the options which don't involve reinstalling Windows first.

Anyway some of that info may be a bit offtopic but i thought, screw it, I'll throw it all out there. It's probably what I'll end up doing for a job so I've got to see if I really am knowledgeable, so pick what you want, like I said, I threw all of it out there.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Let me just add that what you need to do does all count on how severe your problem really is, some things are neccessary (my justification to including lots of things even though I could still be accurate).

It may be a simple fix as a lot of things to do with PC troubleshooting are.

When my PC was slow I did all those steps I put above, I wanted a clean slate, fresh installation, move files onto another hard drive, clean out the computer, do all those tests, get rid of viruses etc and from experience, it helped.

Oh, one last thing about your video drivers. PCs have your graphics card in, they boot up and install Windows right? That's before you've downloaded any drivers or put in drivers from your graphics card CD, so you know it won't matter to your graphics drivers. Once you install Windows go to the manufacturers website and get the latest drivers.

I also say all of this without knowing how much you know about this, I can't confuse someone with jargon but I don't aim to patronise anyone either.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
There is no recovery console on windows7 as such,you do have options to "repair your computer" when booting from the OS disk,such as startup repair/system restore etc but I cant see how this will help in your case.
It's probably a startup program or service running in the background causing these problems.
A clean boot can help you determine what is causing the problem .
Click Start, and then type msconfig in the Search box.
Click msconfig in the search results.
Click the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Load Startup items check box then apply,restart computer.
If it starts up ok,just enable your antivirus software on the startup tab in the system configuration & see how it goes,or if you want,enable startup items one by one to identify the problem,
could be there's just too many items starting on boot& running in the background..
failing that it could be a service causing the problem,
In system configuration(type "msconfig" in the search box)
click on the services tab/click the box "hide all microsoft services" on the bottom left.
click on "disable all"/apply,
restart computer,if it starts ok try to isolate the problem item by ticking the boxes one at a time then restarting computer,
or to save time enable half of them to see which half the problem item is in.
You could have a look in event viewer first,this may highlight the problem & save you time.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance events/operational & show boot and shutdown events.
You could also try running the performance troubleshooter,Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking the Start button/Control Panel/troubleshooting,Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.
No harm in doing a bit of maintenance as suggested,if you dont already do so.
Sorry,too long winded,I know.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, I actually maintenance regime and do clean out temp files and run an automatic defrag program already. There actually is not a problem with my video drivers I was just wondering if running the repair facility impacts upon them.

Apart from the very slow close down I find that windows explorer seems to crash very regularly and has to restart. I,m not short on memory or anything so clearly something is causing problems. I will run msconfig and see what happens.

Peter