Can a computer have two different GPU? (for exmple GTX560ti and GTX 570)

yileilin

Im comsidering that get first pc with gtx 560ti GPU, and put gtx 570 in late, its that posible , will it work together ??
Thx.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
It is possible to use a different second card (but not all cards compatible) to do the PhysX rendering only but it's a waste of a good card

Rakk

The Awesome
Yeah you wouldn't use anything as good as those for physx duties.
And generally if it's two Nvidia cards, there would be no point in using a second one for Physx, since the main card would do a better job of it anyway :)

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
And generally if it's two Nvidia cards, there would be no point in using a second one for Physx, since the main card would do a better job of it anyway :)

Surely if using physx its better to have a dedicated card then lose fps off your main card by having it do physx as well?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A dedicated physx card has benefits if your using an ATI card,
but not if you already have an Nvidia GPU.

Rakk

The Awesome
Surely if using physx its better to have a dedicated card then lose fps off your main card by having it do physx as well?

From what I heard no, though I cant remember the actual reasoning, but theres some info here about it

tom_gr7

Life Serving
A dedicated physx card has benefits if your using an ATI card,
but not if you already have an Nvidia GPU.

If you don't mind, would you explain why there might not be any benefits with an Nvidia GPU?

I thought that as ati/amd cards do not use/support physx, adding a nvidia card would allow you to dedicate the nvidia card to physx and use the ati/amd for gaming? that correct?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yes,that's correct.

The reason for my query is that I noticed the choice of a third card for physx in another PC retailer as an option for both AMD and NVIDIA cards. In the NVIDIA control panel there is a choice of either using the GPU or CPU (?) for Physx and I always though that having a 3rd card dedicated to physx should improve performance.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The reason for my query is that I noticed the choice of a third card for physx in another PC retailer as an option for both AMD and NVIDIA cards. In the NVIDIA control panel there is a choice of either using the GPU or CPU (?) for Physx and I always though that having a 3rd card dedicated to physx should improve performance.

can you even fit a third gpu in ya rig mate?