Can no longer play Blurays

xr287

I'm completely lost with this one. Had my laptop for 2 months, working no problem playing blurays fine. For approx 3 weeks to a month I didn't attempt to play any and now when I do it recognises the disc and loads but refuses to play.

Using the bundled Powerdvd 13 that came with the laptop, it recognises the disc, loads up to 100%, looks as if it is going to play and even tells me how long the first intro section is i.e. I can see I'm at 0:00.00 of 0:00.16 for example but it just stops there and will not play anything. Can't jump to menu or anything the only action I can do is hit stop.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't work. I tried Cyberlink support and they got me to send them all sorts of info and diagnostics and then just told me to update graphics drivers which was obviously of no use as the current drivers I was using were the same I was using when it was working.

Does anyone have any idea what to try or what things I need to check? Laptop spec below:

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 480GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE

Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack

Wireless/Wired Networking GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Cable 1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor

Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Assuming the obvious and you have checked the media disks are clean it could be a faulty optical drive,something to try,though I doubt it will be the issue if your drive plays normal DVD disks okay,
in device manager,check device status,right click on device,select properties,select the general tab.
If this error is showing or something similar with a "code 19"
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Try deleting the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entries.
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one.
Close Registry Editor and restart windows.

Last edited:

xr287

Thanks for the advice but it's showing as working normally. Yeah have tried a few discs and cleaning them all with the same issue. I think I read somewhere there are 2 different lasers so the bluray laser could be faulty and still play dvds and vice versa. Seems really unlikely though. Any conclusive test form faulty hardware?