Can someone check over this spec please?

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Can someone check over this spec please? Need advice on where i can maybe save money? I will be using it for gaming (WoW, D3, PoE, SC2) and streaming with two monitors.

Case
NZXT PHANTOM 410 WHITE GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Previously changed to: AMD FX-6350 Six Core CPU (4.2/3.9GHZ - 8MB CACHE/AM3+)

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A97 R2.0(DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, Windows 8 Ready!)

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
Previously changed to: 3GB AMD RADEON™ HD7950 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
Previously changed to: 650W FSP RAIDER SERIES RA-650 80 PLUS® BRONZE (£59)

Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe AMD CPU Cooler (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Monitor
AOC 21.5" WIDESCREEN LED TFT - 1920 x 1080, 5MS, D-Sub, DVI-D (£89)

2nd Monitor
AOC 21.5" WIDESCREEN LED TFT - 1920 x 1080, 5MS, D-Sub, DVI-D (£89)

Speakers
Creative A250 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer (£32)

Surge Protection
6 Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
I've been reading a few reviews and people are saying that the HD7870 is just as good as the HD7950 but cheaper? any opinions on this?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To save money you could drop the ram to 4GB if it's for gaming,it's easy to upgrade in future if necessary,also you could downgrade to the stock CPU cooler as it's it's designed for the AMD FX Processors.

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
To save money you could drop the ram to 4GB,it's easy to upgrade in future if necessary,also you could downgrade to the stock CPU cooler as it's it's designed for the AMD FX Processors.

Im not too fussed about the ram and the cooling sorry should of said it's more the CPU and GPU im not sure on. Thanks for your fast reply though.

If i was to downgrade the GPU to the 7870 then i would be downgrading the PSU aswell saving some there i was just wondering is the 7950 really that much better for my money? A few reviews i have seen say not but i want advice from you guys as i feel i can trust that more than the rubbish on google :p

Last edited:

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
Also may sound like a really dumb question but with the gpu does it some with 2x DVI-D Slots to Dual screen or am i missing a way of dual screening? will i be needing a HDMI cable?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Also may sound like a really dumb question but with the gpu does it some with 2x DVI-D Slots to Dual screen or am i missing a way of dual screening? will i be needing a HDMI cable?
Both the 7950 and the 7870 have one DVI and one HDMI port,if your monitors only have DVI port you can use an HDMI to DVI adaptor.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
so would you say the HD7950 is worth Total - £70 more than the HD7870?

On one monitor at 1080p the 7950 is going to be more consistently at the 60fps sweet point for most monitors. You can expect the 7870 to perform anywhere between five to ten(ish) less than that, but still have very playable frame rates. The 7870 is a lot more competitively priced I think and on a standard monitor I think it would be hard to tell the difference. Depends on whether you are the sort of person who will regret not going that little further afterwards.

Heres some benchmarks to have a look at - see what sort of games you plan to play and whether the difference is worth it

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=550

ToxicFox

Bronze Level Poster
On one monitor at 1080p the 7950 is going to be more consistently at the 60fps sweet point for most monitors. You can expect the 7870 to perform anywhere between five to ten(ish) less than that, but still have very playable frame rates. The 7870 is a lot more competitively priced I think and on a standard monitor I think it would be hard to tell the difference. Depends on whether you are the sort of person who will regret not going that little further afterwards.

Heres some benchmarks to have a look at - see what sort of games you plan to play and whether the difference is worth it

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=550

Ty for your reply, i was going to go for the 7870 but it's out of stock lol so i think i'll just stick with the 7950 :p