Can someone help me with this?

Raptor

Enthusiast
So, this is my laptop CPU Stuck to the heat sink
I thought of changing the thermal paste and took it all apart (2 year old laptop) and this happened.. Tried wiggling it off, tried applying a little bit pressure.. Didn't work, I don't want to apply too much pressure in case I break it

2j34fug.jpg

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try applying a little heat to the heatsink to soften the thermal paste.Either put the CPU back in the laptop and switch it on for about 30 minutes to warm up the paste or use a hair dryer to warm up the heatsink,don't go too close with the dryer and try not to go overboard with the heat.
Once you've warmed up the heatsink, see if it will lift off,If it still won't move, try gently twisting the heatsink.
If it still won't move,try a little more heat and a bit more gentle twisting.

Last edited:

Raptor

Enthusiast
Try applying a little heat to the heatsink to soften the thermal paste.Either put the CPU back in the laptop and switch it on for about 30 minutes to warm up the paste or use a hair dryer to warm up the heatsink,don't go too close with the dryer and try not to go overboard with the heat.
Once you've warmed up the heatsink, see if it will lift off,If it still won't move, try gently twisting the heatsink.
If it still won't move,try a little more heat and a bit more gentle twisting.

The heating it back up didn't work, so instead of poured a bit of the thermal paste remover between the cpu and heats sink and left it there for few seconds, had to do this twice

Then followed the rest of your advice about twisting it, that slightly budged it so after that I had to slide the straight part of the screwdriver in the gap and it needed barely anything to peal it off.

The thermal paste was horrible.. It looked like it was turned to plaster XD

I'm surprised the cpu didn't melt