cant activate windows

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
hello,
I recently got my computer formatted and entered the OEM key that was on the system information. after a few weeks its suddenly decided to say its not genuine and when I try to enter the key it wont allow certain characters.
I looked online and it says to enter the COA key or contact Microsoft, but I don't have a COA key. theres no sticker on the machine I have no discs either just that OEM code.
I haven't contacted Microsoft yet as I don't have the COA key and I was told you need it.

any help would be great =]

Rakk

The Awesome
The OEM key that is displayed on the system info is not the key for Windows, which is why it didn't activate it.

The need the key from the Windows sticker that will be on the back or side of your PC if it is a desktop, or base of it if its a laptop.
You may need a torch (if its a desktop and its happily living under a desk), you will need a pen and paper (and patience - some of the letters are easily confused).

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
The OEM key that is displayed on the system info is not the key for Windows, which is why it didn't activate it.

The need the key from the Windows sticker that will be on the back or side of your PC if it is a desktop, or base of it if its a laptop.
You may need a torch (if its a desktop and its happily living under a desk), you will need a pen and paper (and patience - some of the letters are easily confused).

ive basicly diassembled the pc and there is no key anywhere, no stickers at all. the pc is about 5 years old but still works fine, this was a custom build from a guy selling them in china. I have nothing else with it just that OEM key if it is any use at all.

is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a whole new key?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Ah custom built in China you say?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't China have a one-installation policy?

I'll get my coat...

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
Ah custom built in China you say?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't China have a one-installation policy?

I'll get my coat...

it was a guy on ebay who bought end of batch parts cheap built 5 computers and sent them here, they were for English pcs anyway he just got them cheap that's all. its not a Chinese pc if that's what I put across sorry =[

Rakk

The Awesome
ive basicly diassembled the pc and there is no key anywhere, no stickers at all. the pc is about 5 years old but still works fine, this was a custom build from a guy selling them in china. I have nothing else with it just that OEM key if it is any use at all.

is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a whole new key?

Ah, I was assuming it was a PC built by PCS (or some other reputable company at least) where they are obliged to stick the CD key onto the outside of the PC case.
The OEM key on the system info is not an activation key at all, all it tells you that it is and OEM version of Windows, you may well have to buy a new license.

You could try calling Microsoft about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath about them being able to do anything about it.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
It's not that MS can't do anything about it, they just won't. If there's no sticker with the OEM copy you'll just have to buy another key. Although from what I've heard MS aren't selling them any more.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
Ah, I was assuming it was a PC built by PCS (or some other reputable company at least) where they are obliged to stick the CD key onto the outside of the PC case.
The OEM key on the system info is not an activation key at all, all it tells you that it is and OEM version of Windows, you may well have to buy a new license.

You could try calling Microsoft about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath about them being able to do anything about it.

I used the key finder and I have the key but it refuses to activate =[ think I have to ring Microsoft
error code: 0xc004f063

Rakk

The Awesome
What form of media did they use to wipe it? Your disc?

they used something in store, I have no disks for the pc.

I suspect they have their own discs/images just like PCS do for installing Windows, but if reinstalling they do expect you to have a proper activation key (which they will not know and not be able to find out for you) so it'll be an un-activated install - for which the key will be needed

Last edited:

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
I suspect they have their own discs/images just like PCS do for installing Windows, but if reinstalling they do expect you to have a proper activation key so it'll be an un-activated install - for which the key will be needed

I used the key finder and im trying to change/ activate the new key but it keeps saying theres an error.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
You can't use a key finder because no key has been entered. I don't know what you've found but it's not your activation key.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
You can't use a key finder because no key has been entered. I don't know what you've found but it's not your activation key.

currently on the activation key its has my OEM key set which is wrong, I used the keyfinder and it came up with a different code that is enterable. it gets to the activation process then immediately goes off to that message.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Sorry, I'm getting confused now. How is your OEM key showing up? And for the life of me I can't think where a different key would be found if Windows hasn't been activated as there's no key registered in the incomplete SLIC table.

Rakk

The Awesome
If you are using keyfinder for Windows keys, you need to use it on a machine which is already has the activated version on it (ie. has had the key applied), if it is not activated it will not find the key for you.

In other words, if you wanted to know the key, I think you needed to find it before the machine was wiped and reinstalled, because after the wipe and reinstall it will no longer be there.