cant activate windows

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
ok right,

I go into my windows activation and it has my key currently as my OEM key, I click activate and it says buy new key - enter new key - get help online.

I got the key finder and it has the OEM key then another key under software licenses, this is the code im entering, it starts the process then stops and says that error code. currently having trouble calling Microsoft.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
thanks boozed,

also as a last attempt on ebay theres a unopened vista for £5, can I just buy that and use the code if its the same vista (home premium)? or do I need to reinstall windows from that exact disk.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'd buy it and just install it and use the code that comes with it, or better still just get Windows 7 OEM. That's what I thought you had sorry.

Greavous

Bronze Level Poster
ok sorted it, apparently I have a desposable version of vista and by wiping my pc I removed it and its gone forever. so ill just buy either a new vista or windows 7. ill have to have a look at some guides on how to format and install it =S

Rakk

The Awesome
ok sorted it, apparently I have a desposable version of vista and by wiping my pc I removed it and its gone forever. so ill just buy either a new vista or windows 7. ill have to have a look at some guides on how to format and install it =S
I'd go for Win7 if you can, it is a much nicer OS and requires less RAM to play well (which if you've got an older PC may make it seem faster)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I took it to pc world they just wiped it and entered the OEM key

I would go back to PC World in this case. If they have repaired it then it should have a legal and licensed copy of Windows on it, the same as it had when you took it in. If they failed to identify your license key before they wiped the disk then that's their fault. When you take a PC to a (supposedly) reputable dealer to be repaired you don't expect them to loose your license key and return your PC in an unusable state (after 30 days). I'd be asking them for a free, legal, copy of Windows to replace the one they've trashed. Threaten to take them to the small claims court for the cost of a new Windows license, for the loss of use of the PC through their negligence and for the cost of your time getting it sorted. What they have done to you is just not acceptable.