Can't boot from CD

J_T_

It's been about a month since I got my PC and I'm happy with it but I can't seem to boot from my CD. I have tried changing the boot priority in the BIOS but it seems to go straight onto Windows. I know the CD works because it boots from my laptops but I can't seem to get it to boot with this PC.
Thanks in advance.

Androcles

Rising Star
Have you tried accessing the boot menu and selecting the CD/DvD-Rom drive, depending on the motherboard/bios you have it could be F10 or F12 i think (while on the intitial boot screen before the windows startup spam those buttons).

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
If you have Windows 8 you will need to disable Fast Boot from within the BIOS.

J_T_

If you have Windows 8 you will need to disable Fast Boot from within the BIOS.
Did it without using fastboot and it's windows 7. Still no success. On a side note though, I've already installed my copy of win 7 but are the only residue files from the old windows windows.old? I've deleted it already but I was wandering if there are any other residue files. Another side note; why is there only 461GB of space available and why is there a 3.91GB partition that I can't seem to get rid of (in windows that is).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would suggest you reinstall Windows again and this time do a custom install and not an upgrade. Upgrades quite often suffer from all sorts of niggley problems.

Boot the install DVD and select Custom install. Delete all partitions on the disk so all the space shows as unallocated. Now create a single partition the size of the drive (Windows may create an additional small partition, this is normal). Then install Windows into the large partition you just created. You will have to re-install all your applications and copy back your user data of course (don;t forget to back it up before you start) but this will give you a much cleaner install than an upgrade. I strongly recommend it.

J_T_

I would suggest you reinstall Windows again and this time do a custom install and not an upgrade. Upgrades quite often suffer from all sorts of niggley problems.

Boot the install DVD and select Custom install. Delete all partitions on the disk so all the space shows as unallocated. Now create a single partition the size of the drive (Windows may create an additional small partition, this is normal). Then install Windows into the large partition you just created. You will have to re-install all your applications and copy back your user data of course (don;t forget to back it up before you start) but this will give you a much cleaner install than an upgrade. I strongly recommend it.
I can't delete all partitions if I can only boot the disk once windows is booted. I can't boot into the disk from the BIOS so I can't format the hdd.

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
Call PCS

Please let us know what they have asked you to do as this would be useful to others whom are having the same problem

salg04086

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I am trying to boot with Windows DVD since I want a clean install of it.

Well seeing as you didn't mention that in any of your previous posts I didn't know.

Go here, download the tool and then download an ISO file of your copy of Windows. You can then mount that ISO to a DVD or USB stick and try those.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_T_

Problem solved! I went into the BIOS again and reset the settings to default and then turned fast boot off, entered the CD in and started spamming F12 and it gave me the option to press any key to boot from CD.
Causes of the problem may be
I disabled the display logo option before which may have been the problem (I don't know why this should be a problem)
I did not hit F12 when booting.
I don't know why F12 should effect anything in the boot process either?

SOLUTION:
Enter the CD, Reset BIOS settings to default and disable fast boot
While rebooting spam F12 key and then press any key to boot from CD.

PS Do you think it was just resetting the BIOS settings that fixed the problem or was it hitting the F12 key because I did previously try booting with fast boot disabled with no sucess?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My thinking is it's the F12 key, which I assume brings up the boot options. Had you not disabled the boot splash screen you'd probably have seen a message on there telling you that F12 was the boot options. ;)

+rep for reporting back with the solution though. :)