Can't connect to internet - help!

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Hey,

A couple months back I bought a computer from here (loving it, by the way) and I've just moved it to a location where it can't get wireless connection. I bought the PC with the wireless network card ("GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD") not the standard wired. In the previous location of this pc it was using the wireless connection. However, as I said before it has been moved to a location where it can't connect to the internet wirelessly (well, it can, but it can't actually load any webpages or anything). I've got homeplugs and they seem to be set up properly (got the correct lights on them). But I've come across a problem.

I can't connect to the internet; I've disabled my wireless card in the hope that that would enable the computer to switch to wired connection (so it'd connect via ethernet to the homeplug) but this did not help.

Because I bought the wireless card, does that mean that I don't have the option to go wired?
And can you please advise me on how to connect to the internet?

Thanks

Corfate

Author Level
No, you can still go wired if you have a wireless card. The PC will always choose wired connection over wireless, so you can re-enable the card if you wish :)

Do the homeplugs need to be synced somehow?

TheKeir

Bright Spark
I think the homeplugs are successfully synced due to the lights on them being what they should be.

When I'm connecting via homeplugs, do I need to choose a wired or wireless connection? And if it's wired, how do I do this?

It's probably just an issue with the homeplugs, I'll double check to make sure that they are properly synced.

Corfate

Author Level
They should just plug in and the internet icon on the bottom right, should show a wired symbol :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try plugging the cable into the onboard ethernet port as opposed to the PCI port,
or vice versa,as it may be a driver problem.

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Okay, so I have now found out that the two homeplugs are not paired. I'm now determining the cause of this.

The manual says that it won't work if they're plugged into an extension lead; only if they're plugged straight into the wall socket. Can this really be right? It's not really an option for me to have it plugged into the wall :/

Corfate

Author Level
Okay, so I have now found out that the two homeplugs are not paired. I'm now determining the cause of this.

The manual says that it won't work if they're plugged into an extension lead; only if they're plugged straight into the wall socket. Can this really be right? It's not really an option for me to have it plugged into the wall :/

It's to give the best possible signal i think. Can you try then just in the wall socket to make sure they work?

Corfate

Author Level
How old are the homeplugs? You could return them, get a refund and then get some with a plug socket on them?

TheKeir

Bright Spark
The manual says they have to be directly connected to the wall, not an extension lead. They have a plug socket on them, but obviously this won't affect it.

See, I've only got one wall socket in the room where this computer and the broadband (as well as many other things) are so everything in this room has to be on an extension lead.

Corfate

Author Level
110099570-260x260-0-0_newlink+link+nlf00606+500mb+pass+through+homeplug.jpg

So they're like that with the socket on them to plug other stuff into?