Can't get into safe Mode and can restore to an earlier date-Wafal-

wafal-

I have a new PC (4 weeks) and run Windows 7 (64bits). Despite pressing continuously F8 when switch the computer on it doesn't go to the Safe Mode. I need to go to safe mode because few times I needed to restore my computer to an earlier date but it doesn't do it either and because of that I thought I could use Safe Mode to restore it. I run Norton antivirus and turned it off but still does not work. Can someone advise please?

pengipete

Rising Star
There are a couple of common causes for not being able to access Safe Mode with the F8 key - either a USB (or remote with USB controller) keyboard that doesn't initialise properly or the motherboard manufacturer has used F8 for some other function such as boot select. Other than that, W7 X64 boots so quickly that the timing of the keypress is critical.

If you can, try a PS/2 keyboard to see if that works, if it does, we'll at least know where the problem lies. It may not be curable if it's just the way the keyboard works but it may help to adjust the LegacyUSB setting in BIOS. Also, if it is USB connected, make sure that it is plugged directly into a standard USB 1 or USB 2 port on the rear of the PC - not into a hub or front mounted port.

There is a way to access Safe Mode by changing a settings in Windows. Click on the start menu and type the following in the text box at the bottom - MSCONFIG - this will open a new window. Click on the "BOOT" tab and on the lower left-hand side, tick the box that says "SAFE BOOT" - also make sure that "MINIMAL" is selected then click the "OKAY" button. You should get a message asking if you want to reboot - select okay and your PC will reboot and enter Safe Mode rather than booting straight into Windows. (I'm not at my W7 basedPC so some of the wording in the MSCONFIG window may be slightly different - you'll soon spot the right settings)

I'm more concerned that you are having problems with System Restore and you may well find that being in Safe Mode won't make any difference. Am I right in thinking that you have the option to restore but after seeming to run, it reboots and says that the System Restore failed? If that's the case, it could still be down to Norton and it's not enough to disable it. I can't tell you exactly where to find it as it depends on which version of Norton software you are using but there will be a setting called something like "System Protection" or "Product Protection" - whatever the name, it is meant to prevent system files and Norton's own files from being changed and that can cause System Restore to fail. Deactivate any such settings in Norton until after the System Restore.

If nothing here helps, can you post back with details of what motherboard you are using, what make/model of keyboard and details of how it's connected to the PC - sometimes these problems are well documented and so are any cures.