Case

CiaranOD

Hi,

I've just been advised that the case I was looking at, isn't in stock.

Would anybody be able to tell me a good case, for a gaming PC that will keep all the bits and pieces cool, that's also quiet, and also one that is good for the future.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ciaran

CiaranOD

Sorry this is the spec:

Case
CORSAIR 275R TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE (Want to change this)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor Cables
1 x 2m DisplayPort Adapter Cable - DP to HDMI

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
It really depends on what components you are putting in said case, how much budget is there etc....if buying low-end components (say a 5600x and a 1660 Super), then you can get away with a lower level case..if you are putting in a 5900x and a 3080 then you need a higher-end case.

Quietness there isn't really anything quiet specific on the PCS site currently...you might be better off buying one elsewhere and having it sent direct to PCS. The Fractal Design Define 7 Quiet is the ultimate but current prices are £150+. The Define 7 mini/midi/compact (it's one of them) might be a different choice as it is a smaller version of same case..priced around £100.

Another alternative is the predecessor of the Define 7, the R6 which is also a quiet case from what I understand:

I was recommended to buy a fractal design case a few years back and it's been a belting black monolith under my TV.
It's really quiet and on the occasions I've opened it i have had minimal dust inside (which is amazing considering the dust on the outside).
If you fancy flashy lights though...

CiaranOD

I was recommended to buy a fractal design case a few years back and it's been a belting black monolith under my TV.
It's really quiet and on the occasions I've opened it i have had minimal dust inside (which is amazing considering the dust on the outside).
If you fancy flashy lights though...
Sounds good, no flashy lights needed, I'm all about the functionality. I just don't know anything about computers. :)

CiaranOD

Thanks for the help folks. And would these be good for cooling? I was told I should look at tempered glass cases.

CiaranOD

So I updated my spec to the Fractal Define Quiet, based on your suggestions, thank you :)

Would this case be ok when it comes to keeping everything cool? I have been trying to do some research but it's very difficult to know, being unfamiliar with building computers. I read a review that the thermal performance was poor under load, but what is load? I'd probably be only be playing a game for a couple of hours every couple of nights or maybe a longer stretch at the weekend sometimes. I also included two extra 120mm fans, I presume this should improve the thermal performance. Basically I'd like to be confident the computer is going to breakdown, every time I play a game. The majority of the time, it will be used 8hours a day, working from home, but the work isnt taxing on the computer. For the past year I've using an old run of the mill laptop, and it has been doing fine.

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor Cables
1 x 2m DisplayPort Adapter Cable - DP to HDM

CiaranOD

Thanks very much Nursemorph. I've removed the extra fans and will install the temperature monitoring program instead. And yeah, if opening the door does the same thing, happy days. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Martyman

Can i ask how you were able to add the Define 7 Quiet to your build? I'm not seeing that listed on the site at all?

CiaranOD

Hey Martyman, I was able to select it when amending my order, but I don’t see it there when building from scratch. In fact, I can see a lot more choice right now when amending, but not from scratch.

Martyman

Hmmm ... I have a build pre-saved and virtually ready to go, but was waiting on Define 7 coming in stock (currently using the 4000d as a placeholder).

Wonder why stock is only showing for amending orders?? Anyone know?

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I also noticed that there were a large number of cases that could be selected when checking my order. A couple of days ago there was very little to choose from when ordering and the 500D SE I chose (as the Fractal Define 7 was out of stock) disappeared after I had ordered. It still shows up on my build. Perhaps these extra options might disappear after clicking on Proceed?

Martyman

I had a saved quote, and was looking to add the Define 7 when it came into stock. But, as you said, the choice for cases is quite limited just now. I was just puzzled as to how Ciaran was able to add one to his build?

PS. Just checked, and now the 4000d has disappeared :confused:

CiaranOD

I read in another thread somebody with a similar issue, I’ll try and dig up which one.
But yeah, I purchased a Corsair case with my build only to be told at pre-production that it was unavailable. When amending my order, I had a much larger choice than if I were to start from scratch again. My order is now at In Building as of today. I checked again by selecting amending my order and I can still see a large difference in offering. But I have no idea why this would be.