CCleaner

paul1224

Been using the above for quite a while now just to keep my PC and laptops as junk free as possible via their registry cleaner and the usual CCleaner of files.

Many people now seem to say that these types of software are not needed and that they don't offer much practical help with your PC in keeping it clutter free, fast, etc.

Anyone got any comments as was thinking of getting rid of CCleaner? Is it a good application to keep?

Gorman

Author Level
Generally as the OS gets more competant at sorting out its own affairs (see Vista, 7) then the need for programs like this kind of dies off.

You would have to be installing / uninstalling a program every time you use it to make a real mess of the registry nowadays.

I am often still quoted things like, but it found 600 errors!. Really? or it found 600 entries that it thinks it could improve on but might not be able to supply a better solution than letting the OS handle its own business and there is no real way to tell how the registry entries it has found are affecting performance or how good the changes are.

In the bad old days (XP and before) the OS wasnt really capable and this allowed for third party companies to make tools like this, nowadays its more of a case for trusting the guys who made the OS or some third party company to make amendments.

Memory / internet boosting software anyone?

Pete

Bright Spark
I'd agree with the registry part of CCleaner but the deleting of temporary files and stopping certain process on startup (i know msconfig does the same thing) i find it worthwhile. it's not something that needs to be done regularly.

the same company make Recuva which is also very good at restoring deleted files.

Gorman

Author Level
I'd agree with the registry part of CCleaner but the deleting of temporary files

Disk cleanup tool, part of windows.

and stopping certain process on startup (i know msconfig does the same thing) i find it worthwhile.

Performance tool and Run maintenance tasks tool available at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting will do the same and more in a handy little wizard.

:p

tools.JPG