Cheapo graphics card question/comparison. Poss mistake?

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there,

I'm currently having a bare bones box built for me by the guys here.

But, being poor of cash, I opted for a great processor/cpu etc, but scrimped on the GPU.

I have a Zotac 9500 gt 1gb gddr2 card kicking about in me old dead machine, but I thought that as it's quite old I should replace it.

A couple of clicks later, and I've amended my order to include a " 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT240 PCI EXPRESS"

After peeking about the interweb, I'm not sure which is the better card. If either?

Have I made a faux pas? Have I replaced one low end card for another similar? Or will I see and improvement with the newley ordered card?

I know that the 240 isnt a gaming behemoth, but I just cant afford anything better.

Any advice (official or not) is warmly welcomed.

Rgds

Frank

Gorman

Author Level
Hello Frank and welcome,

The answer is yes, but not by a massive amount.

The GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800 GT at heart and the 9800 GT is undoubtably better than a 9500 GT, just not by a massive stretch.

For casual gaming at a reasonable resolution it will be a fine upgrade.

So to answer the immortal question, but will it run crysis the answer is yes, on medium.

Ninja edit:

when cash flow allows you can always get a second hand or bargain 5xxx series ATI gpu and use the 250 as a dedicated physx card if its not giving the power you need.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there,

Massively quick reply!

Ta for the info, as long as it's faster, then I'm a happy bunny.

Not worth using the 9500 as a physx card I take it?

rgds

Frank

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Not worth using the 9500 as a physx card I take it?

The 9500GT 1GB version supports PhysX so as long as your motherboard has a spare PCIe slot you could well use it for this purpose.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Crossfire is for ATi cards, where as SLi is for Nvidia cards. At present with Nvidia cards in order to have SLi both chipsets must be identical :(

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there

ta for the info.

Ignore my crossfire post if you noticed it before I hurridly deleted it after realising my stupidity!

Good quick feedback. Good stuff.

rgds

Frank