Chromium based browsers not starting

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So it is...my mistake :oops: Could have sworn I'd read that it was no longer part of Windows due to it being superceded by Edge...not to mention that it's woefully insecure. I don't see the logic in including it in Windows...but not installing it with Windows :unsure:
There are one or two (oldish) apps I have that on installation open IE explicitly. I suspect Microsoft include it so as not to break these types of application.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So it is...my mistake :oops: Could have sworn I'd read that it was no longer part of Windows due to it being superceded by Edge...not to mention that it's woefully insecure. I don't see the logic in including it in Windows...but not installing it with Windows :unsure:
You can uninstall it through add/remove windows features. Microsoft recommend doing that as as you say, it’s inherently insecure.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can uninstall it through add/remove windows features. Microsoft recommend doing that as as you say, it’s inherently insecure.
The reason it's still there is for backwards compatibility purposes if some websites do not work on Microsoft Edge (those that still use ActiveX for example). Microsoft are particularly good at maintaining backwards compatibility in general, the whole Windows design is built on backwards compatibility (in the main) and that's why it's still there.

I agree you'd have to be nuts to use it, but I'm happy to have it sitting there for those odd few occasions when otherwise your experience will be broken. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The reason it's still there is for backwards compatibility purposes if some websites do not work on Microsoft Edge (those that still use ActiveX for example). Microsoft are particularly good at maintaining backwards compatibility in general, the whole Windows design is built on backwards compatibility (in the main) and that's why it's still there.

I agree you'd have to be nuts to use it, but I'm happy to have it sitting there for those odd few occasions when otherwise your experience will be broken. :)
Point is the flaw exists just from having it installed, you don’t even have to be actively using it:

Microsoft recently rerouted the remaining “ie” links to edge also:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Point is the flaw exists just from having it installed, you don’t even have to be actively using it:

Microsoft recently rerouted the remaining “ie” links to edge also:

Didn't know that, but I do know that you can't uninstall it, all you can do is turn it off.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Didn't know that, but I do know that you can't uninstall it, all you can do is turn it off.
That's very true, it's still installed and installation path present in c:/program files x86, not sure exactly what disconnecting it does at the OS level from "add remove windows features"

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's very true, it's still installed and installation path present in c:/program files x86, not sure exactly what disconnecting it does at the OS level from "add remove windows features"
Me neither but I'll see whether I can find out. In any case I've taken your advice and turned it off. :)

AlanStorey

Ok installed windows 10 as you say, windows update has done it all apart from sm bus controller and pci memory controller any idea how to get these 2 drivers without installing intel bloatware

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok installed windows 10 as you say, windows update has done it all apart from sm bus controller and pci memory controller any idea how to get these 2 drivers without installing intel bloatware
Go to the ASUS website, locate your motherboard and download the chipset driver from there. Install that, but nothing else until you've thoroughly tested it. :)

Assuming you're running Windows 10 64-bit it's here https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._CML_TSD_SZ_W10_64_V20131401529_20200701R.zip

All the ASUS drivers are here https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...eries/TUF-GAMING-B460-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Last edited:

AlanStorey

Ok windows installed with update installing all drivers just the last 2 installed manually, working fine all day up to this afternoon go downstairs for a cup of tea had tea came back upstaires click on Edge browser and nothing restart and working again event log does not show any errors critical or otherwise, i am giving up fast. must be an answer to this. no other software at all

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok windows installed with update installing all drivers just the last 2 installed manually, working fine all day up to this afternoon go downstairs for a cup of tea had tea came back upstaires click on Edge browser and nothing restart and working again event log does not show any errors critical or otherwise, i am giving up fast. must be an answer to this. no other software at all
So you're saying it's just Windows and drivers, no other software at all? If so, then it's some sort of hardware issue I think. I would RMA it and point PCS at this thread.

When you send it back be sure to supply clear instructions on how to make it fail.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes just windows and drivers. the problem is i don't know how to make it fail, it just does every now and then.
See whether you can find a way to make it fail. It will be worth your time, because if PCS cannot reproduce it on their bench they can't fix it. Anything you can do to help them actually see the problem will be worth it.

AlanStorey

I have been trying to track this down since I got the PC early September it is so frustrating i have tried everything all you good people have told me i can't reproduce it as i said earlier it was working ok then i had a cup of tea came back less than half an hour and edge would not start it is only chromium browsers doing this nothing else is impacted that i can see.
thanks again

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have been trying to track this down since I got the PC early September it is so frustrating i have tried everything all you good people have told me i can't reproduce it as i said earlier it was working ok then i had a cup of tea came back less than half an hour and edge would not start it is only chromium browsers doing this nothing else is impacted that i can see.
thanks again
I do appreciate the difficulty, but I'm sure you realise that if PCS can't make it fail on their test bench they can't tell what's wrong and can't fix it. The whole RMA process will thus be a waste of your time.

AlanStorey

Thanks again but any more ideas how to make it fail i thought at one time it was the wireless card so i removed it left it out and it still did it could it be the ethernet on the mainboard? i really am at a loss

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks again but any more ideas how to make it fail i thought at one time it was the wireless card so i removed it left it out and it still did it could it be the ethernet on the mainboard? i really am at a loss
The only hardware that would relate would be possibly the GPU, nothing else would have any impact on just those browsers.

Try disabling Hardware acceleration in Chrome and see if it continues to load once the issue crops up.

I can't see how it's hardware related though, doesn't fit the symptoms.

AlanStorey

I did that a couple of weeks ago, no joy. but i am doing it again now on this clean install. could i try and remove gpu and use onboard graphics to test? thanks