Chromium based browsers not starting

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you post a screenshot of your network adapters?

1605899567964.png

AlanStorey

This morning when i started the pc it gave 1 long beep then 3 short ones then rebooted, then started fine i found out it could be a gpu problem or pcie slot. but it has not broken chromium browsers as they start fine. any ideas please.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you tried removing and reseating the graphics card? Try removing and reseating the RAM too. And the M.2 SSD if you have one.

AlanStorey

I did all that before, can i move the graphics card to the other pcie slot the black one not the white one to see if it is the slot on the mainboard. having said all that it has been as good as gold since the reboot.
thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I did all that before, can i move the graphics card to the other pcie slot the black one not the white one to see if it is the slot on the mainboard. having said all that it has been as good as gold since the reboot.
thanks
One thing you can try is to remove the graphics card completely, plug the monitor into the motherboard and use the iGPU on the Intel CPU. Graphics performance in game will be dreadful but it will give you an opportunity to run it for a few days to see whether you get the browser problem without the graphics card in.

The POST beeps you heard do suggest a graphics card problem so this would be a useful test. If it doesn't fail without the graphics card you can point PCS at this thread and ask them to just swap graphics cards - that will avoid the RMA wait. :)

AlanStorey

Ok with thanks to you all I think I am getting somewhere I did what was suggested and removed the GPU I also unplugged the Ethernet cable, leaving just the wireless card that I know is ok and a bare OS and onboard graphics.
I did not have a fail for 2 days so I figured it must be the GPU, then I plugged the ethernet cable back in and ran with that for a couple of hours then crash back to edge not starting, then I unplugged the ethernet again and now working fine with WIFI.
Any idea what I can do to move this on now I hope we found the problem maybe the onboard ethernet bad?
Thanks Again

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok with thanks to you all I think I am getting somewhere I did what was suggested and removed the GPU I also unplugged the Ethernet cable, leaving just the wireless card that I know is ok and a bare OS and onboard graphics.
I did not have a fail for 2 days so I figured it must be the GPU, then I plugged the ethernet cable back in and ran with that for a couple of hours then crash back to edge not starting, then I unplugged the ethernet again and now working fine with WIFI.
Any idea what I can do to move this on now I hope we found the problem maybe the onboard ethernet bad?
Thanks Again
You first need to check that you have the right LAN driver installed.

Excellent troubleshooting by the way, but leave the GPU out until you've sorted the LAN issue. :)

AlanStorey

Thanks again when i try to manually install the ethernet connection i get this Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (12) I219-V
Capture 1.PNG

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do you see it in Device Manager?

Wait, in an earlier post when you showed the network adapter display your Ethernet adapter was there, so it does exist.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes and it works but the only thing i see that happens is chromium based browsers refuse to start some times.
Ok, here's what I'd like you to try. With the graphics card out (because I still don't trust it) do another fully clean install of Windows (deleting partitions) and allow Windows Update to install all drivers. Keep running Windows Update (even across reboots) until no more updates are found.

Now go into Device Manager and see whether a) any devices have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to them (post a screenshot if they do) and b) whether you can see your LAN adapter.

If there are no devices in there with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to them AND you can see the LAN adapter (and it works) then install Chrome - but nothing else! You want just freshly installed Windows with all updates and drivers and Chrome. That's all.

Now does Chrome fail to start sometimes?

AlanStorey

I will try this thanks, but i don't think it is the graphics card now, when i was testing it in another room the only monitor i could use was a tv so the 1long and 3 short beeps only happened when the tv was not turned on, if i turned the tv on first then started the pc it was just 1 short beep. the ethernet cable was plugged into the ewan port on the router I have now moved this to a lan port to see could it be something like this? thank you for your time and effort

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I will try this thanks, but i don't think it is the graphics card now, when i was testing it in another room the only monitor i could use was a tv so the 1long and 3 short beeps only happened when the tv was not turned on, if i turned the tv on first then started the pc it was just 1 short beep. the ethernet cable was plugged into the ewan port on the router I have now moved this to a lan port to see could it be something like this? thank you for your time and effort
It's wise to leave the graphics card out in any case, it's one less potential problem for now. That said, beeps with the monitor/TV off is not uncommon.

I've had to look up EWAN ports I've never come across them before. What router are you using? Generally the WAN port is where the incoming line (DSL) is plugged in, the LAN ports are where you plug in the PC etc. If your PC wasn't plugged into a LAN port that could well be the issue.

With the PC plugged into a LAN port on the router and the graphics card out, do you still get Chrome crashing sometimes?

AlanStorey

The Router is a Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2. the ewan port as i understand is can be used for lan or modem port with the old i7 i always used the ewan port that saying it might be something to do with the chips. have just tried this for the moment so fingers crossed.

AlanStorey

Ok No luck try all weekend but the lan still crashes edge chrome etc, on wifi i have not had a crash for at least a day.
I was thinking of buying a pcie ethernet network card and try to see if it is an onboard issue. This is not going well i purchased a I7 PC back about 6 years no trouble at all in all that time still going so my lifeline to work. This thing has given me a headache for 3 months now. Sorry

AlanStorey

Ok now we have something, all the errors that I had have gone the lan ports I thought might be it are it? I changed the router for the TalkTalk one supplied and used as WIFI for a few days no problems then connected the ethernet and have not had one chromium crash since. So new router ordered and hopefully that’s it.

Still can’t understand how the old i7 using the same router is fine but the new i9 crashes, must be chip related.

Still thanks to all for your help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok now we have something, all the errors that I had have gone the lan ports I thought might be it are it? I changed the router for the TalkTalk one supplied and used as WIFI for a few days no problems then connected the ethernet and have not had one chromium crash since. So new router ordered and hopefully that’s it.

Still can’t understand how the old i7 using the same router is fine but the new i9 crashes, must be chip related.

Still thanks to all for your help
Thanks for posting back. That's good information to know for the future. Now I know that just because other devices connect doesn't mean the router is not at fault. :)