Combat flight Simulators?

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Hey guys.

I know there are lots of people who have gone for Pc's for flight sim, and I recently started playing Flight simulator X.
(Got a cyborg X joystick yesterday).

I wanted to try something with battles in it, so I found Battle of Britain 2, but I'm having loads of trouble mapping the keys to the joystick at the moment. Has anyone played this game, or can recommend any other combat/flight sims?

Cheers

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Dont know about that game, but there are still a huge number of people who play IL - 2 Sturmovik 1946; this also has a massive modding community and hundreds and hundreds of planes etc. and some mods that make some of them and of course the scenery look great. Loads of missions from all of the major nations so you can see what it is like to fly ally/axis planes not to mention ones you would have never heard of. Menus etc and the basic feel of the game is ancient now, but the simulation aspect is brilliant. The new one (Cliffs of Dover) is pants, dont even think about it. Or more realistically think about getting it when they finish making it work correctly, which i think might be a while yet.

These are both ww2 era combat simulators of course; for the modern ones check out amazon; and have a browse through a few of the modern offerings there. You will love 1946 if you are a hardcore combatsim fan; problem for me is im not! I bought it, spent a while modding it, and found that i am just not interested enough in it but even as a non enthusiast I found the combat and the flight simulation aspect great and find time to play again occaisionally. Prepare to spend sometime learning lots of controls and mapping the joystick (this part isnt hard) but you should be used to that with flight sims ;) and be aware that this is an old title so really can look its age in some respects. There is a reason that people still love this, in that it is the best in what it does still in some respects. Realism is great and you really feel like you are flying these old planes. I think i had to open config.ini and change some settings to get the best out of the graphics and also to change forced resolution to 1920 x 1080 (or whatever your native is) but i can guide you through anything you need to do there. With a few mods most of it can still look great.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
If you want a combat simulator that has some modern flying in it (of helicopters and numerous planes) then arma 2 and operation arrowhead offer both; but they are a general military simulation; so not just restricted to planes/helicopters. You might enjoy these too, and will certainly love the flying missions. Very CPU intensive games....

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the detailed response.

Still trying to configure Battle of Britain 2, but I'm gonna try IL - 2 Sturmovik 1946 and Arma 2. Been reading reviews of Arma 2 and it sounds like a very good game.

No doubt I'll be posting back again once I've tried em out :p
Trying out IL - 2 Sturmovik 1946 first though.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fear

Prolific Poster
You could try Falcon 4.0 Allied assault (think game have it on offer at the moment) it's a pretty old game but very realistic it takes about 10-15 minutes to get the F-16 fired up with all the systems running, can't comment on the multiplayer side as i never got that far.

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
Wings of Prey isn't too bad if you want something that's a lot more arcadey than realistic.

I used to play Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe but that game's sorta dated now. Falcon 4.0 is a good choice and IL-2 Sturmovik is quite for the hardcore fan once you get past all the patches you have to install.