Completely Overboard

Zainy

Well after purchasing my spiffy new laptop (Vortex 2, 2630 QM, 460M, 8G RAM)
a couple of months ago, I made the decision to actually use the computer for the high'ish specs its made for. So I decided to purchase a few games. Some Steam, Some on GAME, some other retail shops.

My list since purchase of laptop:

Batman Arkham Asylum
Empire Earth 3
Assassin Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed 2 (Steam)
Assassins Creed 1
Rome Total War (Steam)
Shogun 2 Total War
FM 2011 (Steam)
Overlord 1 + 2 (Steam)
Mass Effect 1 + 2 (Steam)
Cyrsis 2
The Witcher 2
Fable 3
Two Worlds 2
D+D Daggerdale
CoD Black Ops
Ur Quan Masters (ok this was free but still an awesome game)

Now I work a pretty heavy job (can be working 100 hour weeks)
So my time is pretty limited, and my gf is currently away for 3 months so my free time has been 'freed up' a bit since I bought the computer even if its just a few hours a week. With this time I have managed to play 4 of these games - Empire Earth, Overlord 1, FM 2011 and Ur Quan Masters (Star Control 2).
My computer is out of action (unfortunately the wrong RAM was installed which made it very unstable) and wont be back for a good few days and my gf will be back in the next few weeks so its looking like I have wasted a lot of money now!
Just goes to show how a shiny new computer can cause one to develop acute manic symptoms which may persist for a while.

A cautionary tale for those who love games...
Has anyone else gone on one of these mad sprees before? How did it all end?

Zainy

PS. If anyone is looking for a bit of nostalgia and isnt concerned about the latest graphic capabilities I would strongly suggest downloading Star Control 2 / Ur Quan Masters.
Its almost 20 years old so dont expect anything mind boggling graphics wise. But if youre more interested in loads of atmosphere, great script and an epic story then I would highly recommend this. I played it as a teenager and it got me into computer games, I have started playing it again and I am still enjoying it.
It was obviously DOS based but its been done up since the release of the source code and given new life: Check it out here

fluffybunny

lol, is it bad to admit that all of my steam games still fit on one page? And I only have as many as I do because some of them were loaded so mine can be used as a spare machine at the lan whilst I'm busy staffing.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I buy one Steam game most weeks.

However, just wait until the Steam Christmas sales (tend to be Nov/Dec)...I think 2 years ago I bought about 30 games in 2 months!

Nice selection you have there, and have a fun 3 months of no "why do you even play that?" or "if you play for one more minute, you wont have a computer in 3!" :D

Zainy

Hehe. She is very pleasant about it while she is away, she even wanted to pay for my laptop as a present! But Ive already got the pre-emptive talks.
'you should have had enough of that computer by the time i get home...'

Yeah its good to know that other people have gone on similar splurges.