Components out of Stock

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
but you wont be able to replace the motherboard at a later date will you? as your current one doesnt support SLI

Tapner

Surely I'll be thinking about buying a new computer in 2 years time instead of upgrading my current one?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeh cant remember where i read it, will have a look for it in the morning, and even without this, you should be fine, I even added the fan controller when i checked the wattage as that accounts for 5 extra fans

click here, these guys got 900w's out of it! :)

@tapner, ya know ya can log in to ya order online and amend it from there. It's quite handy, you could remove fan controller then it tells you how much you have left to spend, (as you have already spent it ordering) You could have a play lol.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
click here, these guys got 900w's out of it! :)

@tapner, ya know ya can log in to ya order online and amend it from there. It's quite handy, you could remove fan controller then it tells you how much you have left to spend, (as you have already spent it ordering) You could have a play lol.

lol that werent what i read, but close enough, see you'll be fine

lol mine can do almost 1000w yay for triple sli

Last edited:

Tapner

Well, I'll probably be thinking about a new computer in about 2-3 years. The 1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 currently costs around £400 so will still cost a fair amount to upgrade in 2 years time. Plus, my CPU and RAM will most likely need updating then as well. I just don't thinking dropping the processor, RAM and fan controller now and still paying £18 more in case I add another graphics card in the future is worth it, but I'm sure you guys know more about computers than I do.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no in 2 years time it will cost at the most £100, and in 2yrs time it will still be a beast of a card, and your graphics card will always be the bottleneck, for a start, games currently never need more than 4GB, and games are barely utlizing 4 cores atm so your 2 580s would still be a bottleneck before anything else

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I just don't thinking dropping the processor, RAM and fan controller now and still paying £18 more in case I add another graphics card in the future is worth it, but I'm sure you guys know more about computers than I do.

the i52500 is the same as the 2500k, but the K varient is for overclocking, the K means the multipliers are unlocked so makes overclocking easier safer and can go further, so you wouldnt be missing out there. the samsung ram is slightly slower than the kingston ram, but again the kingston is for overclocking. A few hundred mhz is not going to make it feel faster, I had my ram set at the same speed as the samsung ram when I first got my pc, when I changed the speed I noticed no difference.

The fan controller you can add yourself, the same goes for fans, its dead easy and pretty cheap.

IF you think you are DEFO going to want/need to add another 580 i'd make the changes, if not don't worry about it.

Tapner

Honestly, I don't really know what to do. I quite like the idea of having a fan controller. I just feel that if I downgrade the other components now in case I want to add another 580 in 2 years time, I might not bother and wish I hadn't done. Or decide to buy a new computer. It's a really hard decision that I wouldn't have to make if the 650W PSU was in stock.

By the way, I really appreciate you two helping me out, so thanks very much. I'll give you both some rep, although I'm not sure mine is worth much.

Tapner

the i52500 is the same as the 2500k, but the K varient is for overclocking, the K means the multipliers are unlocked so makes overclocking easier safer and can go further, so you wouldnt be missing out there. the samsung ram is slightly slower than the kingston ram, but again the kingston is for overclocking. A few hundred mhz is not going to make it feel faster, I had my ram set at the same speed as the samsung ram when I first got my pc, when I changed the speed I noticed no difference.

The fan controller you can add yourself, the same goes for fans, its dead easy and pretty cheap.

IF you think you are DEFO going to want/need to add another 580 i'd make the changes, if not don't worry about it.

Thank you for that, it was really informative! :)

I honestly don't think I'll bother adding another 580 in the future, or I don't know that I will.

I think the best thing is to give PCS a call on Monday and ask about the 650W, 750W and 850W PSUs and decide which one to go for depending on if they're in stock or not so that my order can progress.

Tapner

Also, do either of you know why the website doesn't give you a warning about components being out of stock when placing an order with a standard build time? After placing my order, I did the process again, but chose the fast-track option and was given the message about the 650W currently being out of stock. Also, it seems strange that the PSU has been due in for nearly a month. The supplier/manufacturer is really taking their time.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thank you for that, it was really informative! :)

I honestly don't think I'll bother adding another 580 in the future, or I don't know that I will.

I think the best thing is to give PCS a call on Monday and ask about the 650W, 750W and 850W PSUs and decide which one to go for depending on if they're in stock or not so that my order can progress.

That's probably the best idea mate, try and speak to Jack, he knows his and stuff and really helpful. (pcs give him a tap on the back, if ya read this) There's a good chance pcs will soon have the 650 w corsair in stock soon.

your question about stock would be better answered by the mods or staff members than myself :)

Tapner

That's probably the best idea mate, try and speak to Jack, he knows his and stuff and really helpful. (pcs give him a tap on the back, if ya read this) There's a good chance pcs will soon have the 650 w corsair in stock soon.

your question about stock would be better answered by the mods or staff members than myself :)

Will do, thanks.

Thank you both very much, I'll let you know what happens when I call them on Monday. :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Also, do either of you know why the website doesn't give you a warning about components being out of stock when placing an order with a standard build time? After placing my order, I did the process again, but chose the fast-track option and was given the message about the 650W currently being out of stock.

Because for fast track everything has to be in stock currently for them to be able to do it.

For a standard build time, you go to the bottom of a large queue first and by the time your build slot comes up, the stock availability of said items may have changed, so on a standard build, something you order may be out of stock now, but expected in a few days and then still be in stock when it's your PC's turn to be built, and conversely the items may be in stock now, but not when it comes to your turn (possibly due to a bunch of fast tracks sneaking in at the front), a lot can happen in 10-12 days :).

Tapner

Because for fast track everything has to be in stock currently for them to be able to do it.

For a standard build time, you go to the bottom of a large queue first and by the time your build slot comes up, the stock availability of said items may have changed, so on a standard build, something you order may be out of stock now, but expected in a few days and then still be in stock when it's your PC's turn to be built, and conversely the items may be in stock now, but not when it comes to your turn (possibly due to a bunch of fast tracks sneaking in at the front), a lot can happen in 10-12 days :).

That makes sense, thanks. :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Having just seen this thread, please let me add the following points:

1. As Maestro said, the 650W PSU's were delivered last week.

2. The 2TB Caviar Black are due in on Monday 19th.

3. All orders that were guaranteed for Christmas will be delivered by Christmas. We're on schedule to have (almost) every order dispatched by Wednesday this week.

4. Please don't stress! :)

Just incase the 2TB Caviar Blacks do not arrive on Monday i would be happy to drop down to the 1TB if it meant getting my order built quicker. :D