Computer issues

Ekans2011

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I apologize for the disruption, but I wouldn't go for anything less than a 360mm for that CPU, while 850 watts should be good enough for a PSU. Just my two cents. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Last edited:

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
Thank you to all those that provided input, I have spoken to this customer and we have decided to bring the system back for an RMA.

Found a bunch of errors in the customer's event log files, mostly targeting the GPU. Either way, we are exploring warranty terms.

"Your AIDA64 results suggest a core frequency of around 4.2 - 4.4 GHz, which means you are losing out on around 600 - 800Mhz due to the cooler installed. Installing a higher-end cooler will simply increase core frequency, it will not lower processor temperatures. Again, this is by design and I see no reason to be worried about the recorded system temperatures.

There is no denying that installing either a 240mm, 280mm or 360mm radiator cooler will squeeze more performance out of the 12900KS.

But, I still recommend that this isn't the cause of the issues that you are experiencing."

Errors found:
Event ID 1001 - BugCheck.
WHEA-logger ID 1 - fatal hardware error.

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\0000007b
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Multiple Warp Errors
The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

nvlddmkm - Event ID 0 - Error

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If possible I would definitely get a better cooler regardless. What's the point in having a 12900KS, spending all that money, and having less performance than a 12700K (Maybe even a 12600k, would be an interesting test :D ).

We're in a fortunate time where the CPUs and GPUs look after themselves with many temperature safeguards, this means it won't break..... but it's not even close to running well so would never be advised. Check reputable reviews for the 12900KS, everyone worth their salt has said 360mm rad minimum to stop it from strangling itself.

I think your PSU is under powered. MSI recommend a 750w PSU for an i7 with a 3070ti, never mind an i9 KS. I was running a 9900k overclocked with a 3070Ti on a 750w RM PSU (High end components) and I was on the ragged edge and couldn't wait to upgrade. Over time the components have worn and now it's more susceptible to transient spikes. Extremely hot CPU, fairly hot running GPU, a cooler that isn't good enough for the CPU inside a box with quite restrictive airflow has taken its toll unfortunately. Just my opinion of course, but it's easy for me to connect the dots.

Always get advice when purchasing such a system. Really fortunate that PCS have the customer service reputation they do and brilliant to see them taking it in for a look see :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have to say, I'm in full agreement with @Scott

Again, this is by design and I see no reason to be worried about the recorded system temperatures.
This part in particular is literally like reading from an Intel marketing brochure which really surprises me. Thermal throttling is never acceptable and suggests either poor design or something wrong with the cooling that needs correction.

I also find it very strange you didn't reference the PSU being underpowered for the system. The GPU error you're seeing seems to relate to that when it's reaching high load.