computer problem concerning new graphics card and motherboard potential problem

greybing

I have a phenom quad core ,gtx 460 ,4 gig ddr3 ram,650 w corsair

ok,greybing here ,not been on here for a while .I bought a new gtx 460 the other
day and i tried to install it. So I put it iin the second slot and the fan did not work on the new card,the first was fine..and pc came on...So i checked that the card was not faulty by taking out old card in the first slot and swapping with new card and the new cardds fan worked fine along with computer but the old card in the second slot did not work fine whilst i was checking this...i know what you thinking its the slot but no it is not because i swapped the power connecters round and the old card in the second slot worked........look basicallyy ,i do not think the graphics cards are the problem.when taking out on of th graphics cards and unplugging the back exhaust fan the whole pc messed up...the upshot of which is that now it will not boot up ,no post bep,some of the fans which are connected to the mothrboard eithier totoally do not work or only slightly revolvle,very slight.led workks ,disc driuve seems to work,makes noise....so ,yeah no boot....spoke to a pc savvy guy and he reckons it is a mother board problem..duh...unsure what to do next....thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Faulty power connector could be the problem,try double checking them at all points.Thats assuming your psu is sufficient,im not sure
if it is or not.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the new card you bought and return to original spec. If all works ok, remove the first gtx460 and add the new one to the first slot. If this works then it's likely the card was not seated correctly or not configured correctly.

greybing

so as i say my pc breaks then a day after i made that original post i end up in hospital over xmas and new year with a scolded infected foot .anyway im free now but hobbling........returned pc to original spec and i still have the same problem.turn on ,no boot noise only 1 of the fans connected to the mobo is revolvimg but all the ones conected directly to psu work fine .when trying to install the other gfx card i remember plugging in one of the side fans to the psu via molex and as i did this seeing a small flash and now subsequently i havee this problem.As i say ,a friend thinks due to th pc not being completely dis connectedof power that i have somehow damaged the mobo.Thing is i dont have much money and im not sure what to do,if the mobo was damaged due to that fan being plugged in then presumably any part of the pc could be damaged.. ....to other poster i believe 650 watts is suffficient for 2 gtx 460's.

Last edited: