Configurator issues with 'System Summary' box?

mavison

Is anyone else having problems using the configurators?

For me, on Firefox 9.0.1 no costs appear in the 'System Summary' box which floats nicely at the top right of the page.

On IE7 the costs appear, but the screen has a horizontal scrollbar because it is about twice as wide as it should be, and the 'System Summary' box does not float at all. So the costs are usually off-screen to the top and to the right!

Tried several configurators yesterday and today, and they all behave the same for me.

Rakk

The Awesome
For me, on Firefox 9.0.1 no costs appear in the 'System Summary' box which floats nicely at the top right of the page.
Well I'm currently using Firefox 9.0.1 and have just tried the configurator and it seemed to work perfectly fine for me, though admittedly I haven't tried every single option to see if one thing causes the issue.

On IE7 the costs appear, but the screen has a horizontal scrollbar because it is about twice as wide as it should be, and the 'System Summary' box does not float at all. So the costs are usually off-screen to the top and to the right!
IE7 - Ugh, a web developers nightmare, there are so many things that don't work on this browser its stupid, I suspect what you've found is just one of those.

mavison

@Rakk: Thanks for response. FF is persistently wrong here, even after a re-boot, for any configurator screen.

IE7 (I agree with Ugh - cannot remember when I used it last!) has seemed to correct itself (not sure how/when), and is now working much as I expected.

Anyone else seeing my FF problem? Or any suggestions what might be affecting me?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try clearing the browser cache.In firefox,
Click on tools/options/advanced/network/click on"clear now"at off line storage.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
IE7 - Ugh, a web developers nightmare, there are so many things that don't work on this browser its stupid, I suspect what you've found is just one of those.

IE7 (I agree with Ugh - cannot remember when I used it last!) has seemed to correct itself (not sure how/when), and is now working much as I expected.

I agree with you both! Take a look slightly to the left!

mavison

Try clearing the browser cache.In firefox,
Click on tools/options/advanced/network/click on"clear now"at off line storage.
Brilliant! That did the trick. Thanks. Now I can stop IE for another long time (I hope).
Any idea what had happened and why? (Just so I can recognise it next time).

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Our website code has not changed and this is the first report of any such problems, but glad you've sorted it now. I have seen the issue with IE7 on occasion but only very rarely and usually related to settings. 4/100 people still use IE7 on our website.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Brilliant! That did the trick. Thanks. Now I can stop IE for another long time (I hope).
Any idea what had happened and why? (Just so I can recognise it next time).

The browser cache stores files every time you visit a website,
sometimes these files can become outdated or even corrupt,
or the cache is just too full.
You can increase the space allocated to the cache by overriding the automatic cache management.
I prefer to empty it every few weeks or so.I also clear history & cookies.
To clear history & cookies go to
tools/options/privacy/"clear your recent history" click on" time range to clear" drop down tab/everything/tick boxes/clear now.

Last edited:

TheKeir

Bright Spark
4/100 people still use IE7 on our website

This is a very interesting statistic - I see way too much use of IE, I guess this means that, because PCS is mostly used by people who actually know something about computers, most people that use IE do not know anything about computers so it's for stupids. Or something.

I can't stand IE, it actually crashes my laptop when I try to load it up, I've never liked any aspect of it and I don't see why anyone does.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Well the IE6/IE7 days are limited. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-to-begin-automatic-internet-explorer-upgrades-in-2012/4267

I actually use IE9, but these are the latests stats for our website:

BrowsersPercentage
Google Chrome34.17%
Mozilla Firefox23.48%
MSIE 8.012.80%
Safari12.01%
MSIE 9.011.17%
MSIE 7.03.89%
Opera1.53%
MSIE 6.00.42%

Ah of course, it was just IE7 not any IE.

Seems I am in part of a small 1.53% of people :p though I'm seeming to use chrome more and more :/

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I prefer google chrome but that is my preferance. The main reason I didn't like the IE was that the 64bit didn't support flash, I haven't looked recently so am not certain whether this has changed but I have got used to chrome now and love it. What I recommend anyone to do though is to use a download manager, the windows download applet or whatever is called is really not very good.