Configurator.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
There seems to be a glitch on the configurator,when selecting a 550W or 650W PSU on some specs this warning appears,
"Due to the power requirements (AMPS,) the power supply you have selected is not suitable, please increase your PSU size or change to a higher spec model."
but when upgrading to 750W PSU it tells you,
"You have selected a 750W power supply, but based on our calculations you actually only need a 550W power supply."

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
There seems to be a glitch on the configurator,when selecting a 550W or 650W PSU on some specs this warning appears,
"Due to the power requirements (AMPS,) the power supply you have selected is not suitable, please increase your PSU size or change to a higher spec model."
but when upgrading to 750W PSU it tells you,
"You have selected a 750W power supply, but based on our calculations you actually only need a 550W power supply."

Yep. I looked into a GTX760 config that last week required 450w. This week 450 / 550w gave me the AMPs message above and 650w told me I only needed a 450w

SgtMayhem

Yeah I have the same problem and just before I was about to make a new thread I tried to find if anyone has the same problem and I found this. Last time for the GTX 760 I only needed 550W PSU, now it says: "Due to the power requirements (AMPS,) the power supply you have selected is not suitable, please increase your PSU size or change to a higher spec model." When I change it to 650W it still says the same thing, however if I select 750W or higher it tells me: "You have selected a 750W power supply, but based on our calculations you actually only need a 550W power supply..." I would really appreciate it if this issue was fixed before this upcoming weekend because I was hoping to make an order soon to receive it before Christmas.

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I have the same problem and just before I was about to make a new thread I tried to find if anyone has the same problem and I found this. Last time for the GTX 760 I only needed 550W PSU, now it says: "Due to the power requirements (AMPS,) the power supply you have selected is not suitable, please increase your PSU size or change to a higher spec model." When I change it to 650W it still says the same thing, however if I select 750W or higher it tells me: "You have selected a 750W power supply, but based on our calculations you actually only need a 550W power supply..." I would really appreciate it if this issue was fixed before this upcoming weekend because I was hoping to make an order soon to receive it before Christmas.

Any joy with this yet - I'm still having the same issue tonight.

Been at work all day and didn't get chance to call. Shame, I was gearing up to purchase after some long thought. With 3 days left for guaranteed delivery I may just wait till after Xmas now.

All three 450-650w PSUs give me an error with the config I'm trying, 450 and 550 saying the AMPs message and the 650 saying I only need 450w?!?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there guys, sorry for the confusing messages. There is an AMP issue with the VS series and high end GPUs, we have had to put on this message to avoid issues when you guys get your systems. We apologise for any inconvenience and we will pass on the message about this not being very clear!

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
Hey there guys, sorry for the confusing messages. There is an AMP issue with the VS series and high end GPUs, we have had to put on this message to avoid issues when you guys get your systems. We apologise for any inconvenience and we will pass on the message about this not being very clear!

Cool, thanks for the clarity - hope it gets sorted.

Question though - this only seems to affect the gtx760 and 770 for me. If I try other equally high end GPUs like the R9-280x, it doesn't seem to have this AMPs issue?

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster

Bump - so to clarify, any GFX card we get this error message with, only the Enthusiast series of PSU's will suffice?

As I say, it just seems a few have let you select the VS series if its 650W, but gives you a friendly reminder that not as much power is required? And equally high end cards like the R9-280x don't seem to give this AMPS messages where the not million mile away specced 770's give the warning?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Correct and I will look into the R series and how they are affected.

liquidtmd

Bronze Level Poster
Correct and I will look into the R series and how they are affected.

If you could and feedback on here that would be much appreciated moosEh. To be honest, the configurator and the PSUs / AMPS could maybe do with looking at once the Christmas dust has settled (obviously not aiming that at you!)

With the PSU bumps the 760 and 770's are currently asking for, and the seeming compatibility of the R9-280x with the VS series PSUs and the Bitfenix Prodigy casing I'm currently looking at, its only £17 more for my potential order at the moment to get a R9-280x over the 760. Which seems a bit odd.

Equally some of the PSU configs for the other cases, in particular the Fractal Node 304, seem a bit odd. Maybe they are right, but in terms of consistency the error messages give off mixed signals.

All good though. Will plump down an order after Xmas, so a bit of time to clarify would be great.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Just been directed to this thread, but the explanation doesn't make very much sense to me.

Watts = volts x amps. So if a PSU is supplying sufficients watts then it must also be supplying sufficient amps, unless it is somehow supplying them at the wrong voltage? But if it were supplying the wrong voltage, then most of the hardware in the system wouldn't work properly.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Just been directed to this thread, but the explanation doesn't make very much sense to me.

Watts = volts x amps. So if a PSU is supplying sufficients watts then it must also be supplying sufficient amps, unless it is somehow supplying them at the wrong voltage? But if it were supplying the wrong voltage, then most of the hardware in the system wouldn't work properly.
graphics cards and other power hungry components use +12v rail, hdd, optical, mobo (parts on ur mobo will use 3.3 and 5v like the chipsets). I guess each mobo is different, especially over the years.

I'm struggling a bit with electricity myself, I really should read a book or something lol. If the GPU needs 180w and it uses 12v, does it regulate the amps?

Bottom line, the max output is something you shouldn;t go over, but what to look out for is the amps. You also get multi rail aswell which is spread out, but I think if it's got 2 +12v rails you can double the amps x 12 and you get the wattage.

Graphics cards will specify on their websites the required amps or wattage as does the manufacturer of the PSU's for it's output.

If it says 30 amps required for your graphics and it says 30amps max on the 12v rail well that is obviously bad, I couldn't tell you what a safe margin would be, maybe 10-15 amps extra margin for the rest of the system?

I really should read a book eh.