connect virgin media V+ box to PC

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I hope someone could give me some feedback on this query. I am trying to watch tv from my computer and possibly record programmes but I am not sure what the requirements are apart from purchasing a tv card.

steaky360

You would need some kind of video capture device as far as I know (without using a TV card). But I do hope to be proven wrong :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You would need some kind of video capture device as far as I know (without using a TV card). But I do hope to be proven wrong :)

Errrr..... no idea what that is. I assume I need to request a separate V+ box since I do not wish to duplicate the image from the tv. There are some tv cards available from PCS, feedback on those will be appreciated.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I use a DVB-S2 card for Freesat that's connected to a dish I installed out the back,or you can use a DVB-T card for freeview like I have on my other computer that's connected to a loft aerial,I'm not aware of any effective way to connect virgin media V+ box to PC to watch a different channel.
A TV card allows you to watch either freeview or freesat depending on the card you select,they can be PCI or PCI-E cards so check you have the necessary slot available.
DVB-T for freeview which needs to be connected to an aerial,an amplified indoor aerial might work depending on the signal strength in your area.
Satellite DVB-S2 for freesat which needs to be connected to a satellite dish.
You need at least a dual tuner card to watch and record at the same time.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I use a DVB-S2 card for Freesat that's connected to a dish I installed out the back,or you can use a DVB-T card for freeview like I have on my other computer that's connected to a loft aerial,I'm not aware of any effective way to connect virgin media V+ box to PC to watch a different channel.
Would I be able to duplicate the signal from the V+box to the tv card? I had a look at the forum in virgin media but I can't get a definite answer on the specific equipment I need.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I did some research on this for a friend a couple of years ago,there where people who claimed it could be done through a video capture card as steaky mentioned,or a PCI TV card which is basically a kind of Video capture card in itself,but the best solution seemed to be a Slingbox which allows users to remotely view and control their home's cable, satellite, or personal video recorder (PVR) system from an Internet-enabled computer with a broadband Internet connection.
But to be honest,in the end I kind of gave it a body swerve,sorry I can't be of more help.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
one problem i can see here dude, is that you probably dont have any spare PCI/PCI-E slots, because of the two 680's and soundcard.

I would have thought it would be quite difficult to do, after all, sky/virgin want you to pay extra for multi-room and not have an easy way around it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
one problem i can see here dude, is that you probably dont have any spare PCI/PCI-E slots, because of the two 680's and soundcard.

I would have thought it would be quite difficult to do, after all, sky/virgin want you to pay extra for multi-room and not have an easy way around it.

I could place the tv card below the 2nd gpu, not sure if it will cause a significant increase in temperature. I don't mind requesting an additional V+box, I am just not sure if I can get it working even if I purchase the tv card.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
could you not just use virgin tv anywhere on your pc? maybe this is not the solution you are looking for but its an idea - http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/tvanywhere/explore/intro.html

I think that's basically Virgin's version of SkyGo? Which is basically constantly streaming and he won't have access to record or anything either. And if it's anything like SkyGo the quality will be pretty shoddy at times and they'll only have 10% channels available!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think that's basically Virgin's version of SkyGo? Which is basically constantly streaming and he won't have access to record or anything either. And if it's anything like SkyGo the quality will be pretty shoddy at times and they'll only have 10% channels available!

we tried that sky go here,.... rubbish... doesn't run on cheap/low end tablets... only worked on a nexus 7. then we found our sky internet isn't even fast enough for it to stream hahha.