Constant Crash - Vortex IV Elite

jsmith

Hi PC Spec,

I recently purchased a new laptop from you after wanting to upgrade my m17x(R1) but so far I've just been completely frustrated with it.

Since day one of turning it on, only 3 hours into having it running it blue screened on me - and this is a common occurrence - as it stands, it's probably blue screening at least twice a day!
The first time it happened, nothing was actually installed on it - it was still factory shipped with only the default programs.

I know this is probably driver related, but I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.
From what I gather, this is the event that causes the reboot - although each time the actual error codes are different:
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000100, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800034bd313).
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xfffff88085a53fc0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000008, 0xfffff88085a53fc0).
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xffffea006f6e630d, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff88005ae6443).

The thing that I'm most annoyed about is the fact this has been happening really frequently, even as soon as I received it. I fail to see how any of these problems could not have been seen / found by the quality control / testing team...

Anyway, knowing this was a brand new laptop (so presumably running the latest drivers already), can you assist with diagnosing the problem?

Order number was 608487.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As vanthus says we're just (mostly) ordinary PCS customers who love fixing stuff. You should call PCS for official support. :)

That said, 0xa and 0xd1 stop codes are common and almost always caused by a bad or no driver installed. They could, at a pinch, also be caused by bad RAM but I'd expect to see other stop codes as well if the problem was bad RAM.

You have a couple of choices really. The best one (since we don't know what state your Windows system is in) would be to do a clean reinstall of WIndows and then carefully install all the relevant drivers from the disk supplied to you by PCS. Generally it's best to install the chipset driver first but if the PCS-supplied disk has a menu option for installing drivers (mine did) then you should install them in the order they are listed. If you are asked to reboot after a driver install (and you will be for several of them) then be sure to do the reboot, it's important.

If you don't fancy a complete reinstall then you need to check each device to make sure you have the latest drivers. Don't use a third-party tool to do this (like Driver Sweep for example) because you have no idea where the drivers have come from. On the bottom of your laptop you'll find a Clevo model number, make a note of this. Then you should visit the Clevo download site and select your model number from the drop-down list. You will then be able to download the official drivers for your laptop. I suggest you uninstall the existing drivers before installing the new ones. To do this open Device Manager, find the entry for the device and right-click on it. Select Uninstall from the drop-down list and if it asks to whether to delete the driver answer Yes. Then reboot and once Windows is back install the driver you downloaded.

If it were mine I'd do a clean reinstall of Windows and the drivers off the PCS disk (or downloaded from Clevo, they should be the same although the Clevo ones may be later versions). This will give you the confidence of knowing exactly how Windows was installed and that everything is installed properly. The good people on here can offer you lots of advice and help reinstalling should you need it.

I hope that helps? :)

Last edited: