Cooling/CPU

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Now, as a bit of a beginner, forgive me if this is a silly question.

Am I correct in thinking that the CPU Fan is in fact the two fans strapped either side of the Spire Gemini cooler? So there isn't actually another little fan underneath the cooler on the CPU? So when the ASUS AI Suite II says that my CPU fan isn't spinning, it's referring to the one fan out of the two strapped to the cooler that isn't spinning?

Thanks!

Nath

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
My idle temperatures is currently varying between 34c and 39c - surely that can't be right? :/

steaky360

Yes - the CPU fans will be those two fans attached to the heatsink. Your best bet is to turn on your PC and have a look at them, you will be able to see if the two fans either side are spinning. You would be able to tell if the CPU fan wasn't spinning as the computer wouldn't like it.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Only one of the two fans is spinning though, and I get error messages popping up from AI Suite saying "CPU FAN 0-RPM" :/ The other one just judders a little bit. It does seem to spin occasionally though :/ I'm trying to figure out if it's supposed to do that or if I have a dodgy fan. Google isn't being very helpful :(

Corfate

Author Level
Hello again :p

Those temps are perfectly fine. Slightly more than average, but that could be due to your ambient room temps :) I say slightly, and i mean slightly. Nothing at all to worry about. Did PCS not get back to you?

steaky360

They should both be spinning all the time - the fan speed will change as the temperature fluctuates - as Corfate said your temps are fine, which means when you get both fans running you'll have a perfectly chilly CPU :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ok, so why do we think that one of them isn't spinning? Dodgy fan? I plugged the working fan into the non-working fan's socket earlier and it worked fine, so assuming it's just a dodgy fan?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok, so why do we think that one of them isn't spinning? Dodgy fan? I plugged the working fan into the non-working fan's socket earlier and it worked fine, so assuming it's just a dodgy fan?
Yeah,looks like a faulty fan.

steaky360

It does happen occasionally, fortunately your temps are good enough to be able to use your PC in the short term till PCS send you a replacement fan :)

steaky360

Nah I would imagine you will be fine really - unless you plan on 'Binge Playing' (like for many many hours constantly :))

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i think you would be fine gaming mate, one fan is more than good enough, two is just a bit better.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I like to strive for a bit better :D I have a feeling this is going to turn into an addiction, and I will be constantly wanting to improve it haha

steaky360

I like to strive for a bit better :D I have a feeling this is going to turn into an addiction, and I will be constantly wanting to improve it haha

Yeah, I know how you feel I am the same with my rig! It's great that PCS let you modify without removing ng the warranty on the original parts.

Corfate

Author Level
Sorry, been at work so haven't had chance to watch the vid till now. Looks like Vanthus is right, faulty fan. Easy enough to change though, just unclip those clips, then put them onto the new fan and onto the cooler :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
It's confirmed: swapped around the sockets of the two fans - and the same fan doesn't spin. So it's definitely a dodgy fan - there's nothing catching it though which is strange :/

Last edited: