Coolit ECO ALC - changing stock fan

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
If I were to attach attach the 200mm HAF-X case fans via the low noise adapters that came with the Noctua's would the fans still function? I am trying to reduce as much noise as possible plus these adapters will otherwise be just lying around gathering dust.

pengipete

Rising Star
What sort of plug is on those fans? If they have this sort...

3pinfansensor.jpg

...and they're plugged straight into the motherboard, you can change a setting in BIOS to make them run more slowly unless the PC gets warm - then they'll speed up temporarily.

If that's applies, start the PC and press the DEL key to enter BIOS. Go to the Power menu and then go to the Hardware Monitor section. Change the setting for Chassis Q-Fan Control to Enabled then select which profilee you want to use - Silent is quietest, then Standard and then Turbo. I suggest using Silent to begin with and check your temperatures - if they seem a bit too high, go back andf change to Standard.

Don't enable the CPU Q-fan setting in BIOS - that's only used for air cooling and must be disabled for water cooling.

pengipete

Rising Star
You should be able to remove those Molex adaptors and connect the fans to the normal motherboard headers but I can't find the electrical specs for the fans so it's possible that at least some of them may draw too much power for the headers - if that's the case then you mustn't connect them or you will damage the board. If one of the chaps from PCS read this - they should be able to advise you on whether or not it's safe to connect any of those fans. If not, perhaps drop PCS an email.

If the answer is that they can't be connected to and controlled by the motherboard, you could always look at hardware controllers - they fit into a drive bay (like a DVD drive) and let you control the fans either manually or automatically.

samx300

Enthusiast
My CoolIT ECO in a Push/Pull Config

The 2 x Akasa AK-FN058 120mm Apache Military Standard Fans arrived in the mail today, and so did my PWM fan Y-Splitter :) Just need to go and buy a screwdriver for the entire operation. I found the instructions below on the CoolIT forums helpful for the preparation:

"You would need a type #1 Phillips type screw driver. Most hardware stores will carry the smaller type, but as you mentioned they are usually covered in a plastic which you must remove.
The screws are standard 6/32 X 1/8 inch in length.You could find these at any hardware store."

Will post pictures on Saturday while the operation to mod my CoolIT ECO in a push/pull config is underway :)

samx300

Enthusiast
Okay, update to my last post in this thread:

I am finding it very difficult to get hold of the damned screws for the CoolIT ECO ALC fan replacement! :(
I looked through 3-4 hardware stores already (including Leylands and Morrells) without any luck..guess I'll have to take off ECO's radiator today and remove one of the screws from the stock fan.
I'll then have to go around with this screw as an example to find replacements.

PS* Apparently the dimensions given on CoolIT Forums for the screws "standard 6/32 X 1/8 inch in length" is in American units. The blokes from the hardware store have difficulty understanding these dimensions.

Help from anyone, who has successfully changed their fans on the CoolIT ECO ALC, will be forever appreciated!

Thanks

samx300

Enthusiast
Thanks Gorman and Pengi, I will set it up to push air outside the case and see what happens. Seems like a simple enough procedure to change the stock fan (famous last words). I have ordered 2 x NF-P12's for £34 incl delivery, seemed like a good deal. Hope to have them by end of the week.

Hi Abdul,

Need yer help mate:
I am finding it very difficult to get hold of the damned screws for the CoolIT ECO ALC fan replacement! :(
I looked through 3-4 hardware stores already (including Leylands and Morrells) without any luck..guess I'll have to take off ECO's radiator today and remove one of the screws from the stock fan.
I'll then have to go around with this screw as an example to find replacements.

PS* Apparently the dimensions given on CoolIT Forums for the screws "standard 6/32 X 1/8 inch in length" is in American units. The blokes from the hardware store have difficulty understanding these dimensions.

Any help from you would be forever appreciated!

Thanks

JSG10

Expert
They're bog standard PC screws, they're used for pretty much everything in your PC. Just go into any PC shop and they should have loads spare, I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll give you a couple :)

samx300

Enthusiast
They're bog standard PC screws, they're used for pretty much everything in your PC. Just go into any PC shop and they should have loads spare, I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll give you a couple :)

:eek: So they're just the standard PC screws?? There is no special requirement about the groove or their length?

JSG10

Expert
No they should be standard looking at those specs, 6/32 x 1/8 is standard case fan screws along with the screws used for PCI components etc. All tends to be fairly standarised I've noticed. You'll find mobo screws are different though.

samx300

Enthusiast
No they should be standard looking at those specs, 6/32 x 1/8 is standard case fan screws along with the screws used for PCI components etc. All tends to be fairly standarised I've noticed. You'll find mobo screws are different though.

Okay, I made a quick trip to Maplin and got the standard DIY Cooling Fan screws (for fixing 25mm fans) and a screwdriver for Philips Size #1 :)
Just pray that it works!

JSG10

Expert
You not got a local PC shop anywhere near you? A small independent one or anything like that? They'll have screws everywhere :)

samx300

Enthusiast
You not got a local PC shop anywhere near you? A small independent one or anything like that? They'll have screws everywhere :)

Yep, no worries. I made a post earlier saying I got hold of the screws from Maplins. Also grabbed a size #1 philips screwy :)
Just need to go back home and try if that works..

samx300

Enthusiast

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

You will be awarded MASSSSIIVVE REP if the standard screws work! :)

JSG10

Expert
Oh yeah, I re-read it lol thought you said you need to make a quick trip not that you already had haha
well, fingers crossed :) hope it's the right ones.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I found the standard screws really fiddly to fit. Ended up using ones with a slightly pointy tip which I found in my toolbox. After a few days fitted the screws that came with my noctua fans as the holes became a lot more pronounced.