Coolit ECO ALC - changing stock fan

Teaz

Godlike
LOL i take it someone are in the same shoes as i am for the screws :p ive found them but they are too short and no luck for longer size.

samx300

Enthusiast
Akasa Apache Black Fans for CoolIT ECO ALC - Push/Pull Config

Hi fellow gamers/overclockers,

I replaced the stock fan on my CoolIT ECO ALC with 2 x Akasa Apache Black Fans (120mm) in a push/pull config this morning.

My experience is described below (with a link to pictures)

The Good: :)
  1. Replacing the fans is fairly straigt forward provided you got stuff below beforehand.
  2. Things you need:
    Philips Type #1 Screwdriver, spare screws with adequate depth (read below for the screw nightmare!), 2 x replacement fans and a PWM fan Y-Splitter.
  3. I decided to channel the airflow from within the case to outside the case - did this beacuse I thought all the air coming in would create turbulence with my Hyper X RAM Fan and also heat up other Motherboard components. I decided this inspite of having 2 x 200mm fans at the top of my HAF X exhausting the hot air out.

The Bad:
  1. The Radiator is not very maneuverable during the install - patience is key.
  2. The process is much more simpler if you can take the ALC pump off, but then putting it back (along with thermal paste etc) is another massive task. Try and avoid this.
  3. The replacement fans don't really have a tread in their mounting holes - therefore you actually need to drill a tread (by screwing forcefully) to attach the rad at the back of your case.
  4. For the fan that faces the back of the rad, do not use long screws that go through both the mounting holes of the fan. This is because the outer mounts will be used to screw the fan (along with the rad) to the back of the case. You will need to use smaller depth screws to mount the back fan to the rad by only utilising the bottom mounting hole.

The Ugly: :(
  1. Finding the correct screws is a real nightmare! - I purchased a standard set of screws from Maplin for £2.99 (set of 50) which were suggested for fixing a 15mm fan. They were no good on the rad since their tread is finer and they just went right through.
  2. Today morning I again went to Maplin to look for a larger tread and bought another set for £3.99 - again no luck as they all went right through.
  3. My only option left was to utilise the 4 screws that came off the stock fan - so I used 2 on each fan (installed diagonally, top left and right bottom). The fixture seems sturdy for now, but I will continue my hunt for the right sized screws.

Enjoy some pictures on the link below :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/sidhaa...authkey=Gv1sRgCNzbo-GSmZvx9QE&feat=directlink

Cheers