Coolmaster case

devil nev

I have my pc no problems with it ,but I have a question that may be answered in here , I chose the coolmaster silencio case I believe it is called
.Now when I open the door at the front below the disc drive there is a open section with what appears to be a connection at the back of the large slot,
can anyone tell me what it is ....I am guessing it may be for a removable sata hard drive ...and what ever it is will it be wired in for use

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes it should be connected so you can plug in a SATA drive,pretty sure it's an external SATA dock.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I have my pc no problems with it ,but I have a question that may be answered in here , I chose the coolmaster silencio case I believe it is called
.Now when I open the door at the front below the disc drive there is a open section with what appears to be a connection at the back of the large slot,
can anyone tell me what it is ....I am guessing it may be for a removable sata hard drive ...and what ever it is will it be wired in for use

I have this case. It's a hot-swap bay to mount another drive. I currently have attached my SSD to the mounting plate and keep it in there. Don't let anybody pull it out though while the machine's on! (Yes that nearly happened to me!)

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Also another tip - you can swap the hinges over to the other side of the door if it opens the wrong way :) Useful. I found that the door always swings shut when on a certain way, but doesn't when moved to the other :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I have this case. It's a hot-swap bay to mount another drive. I currently have attached my SSD to the mounting plate and keep it in there. Don't let anybody pull it out though while the machine's on! (Yes that nearly happened to me!)
A hot-swap bay is just another name for an external SATA dock,I have one on my case and you can connect and disconnect a drive without shutting down the computer ,that's the whole idea of it,hot swappable :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
A hot-swap bay is just another name for an external SATA dock,I have one on my case and you can connect and disconnect a drive without shutting down the computer ,that's the whole idea of it,hot swappable :)

Unless you're running the OS off that drive... in which case not advisable :p

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Haha,yes very true :) but that wouldn't be a very good idea.

I'm full of bad ideas...

I removed the top HDD cage to increase airflow, the bottom cage only has space for three. One is taken up by my caviar black and the other 2 are part of the dual boot dock, which I don't need.

pace508

I have just bought this case, cannot seem to get front fans to work, I found the little circuit board under 2nd 5.25 bay with molex fitting and sata connection, this is my first build from scratch so can someone give me little advice

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
which wires am I looking for

The ones which lead from the fans :) If I'm correct in thinking, the front fans should plug into the fan controller (which is at the top of the case near the power switch). You can't access this directly, but there should be a wire dangling down which the fans plug into. I think...

pace508

The ones which lead from the fans :) If I'm correct in thinking, the front fans should plug into the fan controller (which is at the top of the case near the power switch). You can't access this directly, but there should be a wire dangling down which the fans plug into. I think...

front fans are wired up going to the fan controller

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
It seems unlikely that both fans would be broken. Can you see where they plug in exactly? Make sure all the cables are secure etc...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
In that case it would point to a faulty fan controller, or possibly it's not wired correctly. I haven't got my PC to hand atm so can't check for you...

pace508

In that case it would point to a faulty fan controller, or possibly it's not wired correctly. I haven't got my PC to hand atm so can't check for you...

all top features usb2,usb3,start button and reset all working,i have not tried dual boot because I am not sure how its wired up

steaky360

The fan controller is likely a separate circuit board to the usb ports etc. on the top of the case. It could be a faulty controller as Nathanjrb has suggested. The fan controller should be powered (probably by a molex connection) from the PSU and it in turn would power your fans. If you can, check to see if there is a cable going from the PSU to the fan controller.

pace508

The fan controller is likely a separate circuit board to the usb ports etc. on the top of the case. It could be a faulty controller as Nathanjrb has suggested. The fan controller should be powered (probably by a molex connection) from the PSU and it in turn would power your fans. If you can, check to see if there is a cable going from the PSU to the fan controller.

my rear fan is powered by a cable with a molex adaptor with male and female connections one goes to PSU the other one is to the fan controller