Corsair 5000D Airflow Build

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
I want to order a 7950X3D + RTX4090 system built inside the Corsair 5000D Airflow.

I want it to have 12 fans pretty much exactly like the build in THIS VIDEO

3 on the side panel, 3 on the front panel and 6 in push/pull configuration on the Corsair H150i 360mm radiator.

I've not had a desktop PC for almost 20 years (Socket 754 Athlon XP3200 + Geforce 6800 Ultra :LOL:), and I've never done anything with RGB, fan controllers, iCue, Link, etc etc.

What do I need to order in the Power & Cooling section to get the desired setup? Will PCS know how I want all the fans setup if I just order 10 fans in addition to the 2 that come with the case? What fan controller(s) do I need? If I order the Link H150i instead of the H150i Elite Capellix XT, will that mean I don't need a separate controller? Will the 2 fans that come with the case end up being mis-matched to the other 10?

Bhuna50

Author Level
Hi,

When asking for spec / build advice, please read the following an dpost accordingly.

Most on here will advise the best system for performance, not just for aesthetics.

Bhuna50

Author Level
What do I need to order in the Power & Cooling section to get the desired setup? Will PCS know how I want all the fans setup if I just order 10 fans in addition to the 2 that come with the case? What fan controller(s) do I need? If I order the Link H150i instead of the H150i Elite Capellix XT, will that mean I don't need a separate controller? Will the 2 fans that come with the case end up being mis-matched to the other 10?

To answer some questions though as I read into this when ordering my recent system.

The H150 will come with 3 fans already as part of the radiator / cooling system.

The 2 fans that come with the case are just ordinary fans I believe, you would be better off going for the CORSAIR ICUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE case which comes with 3 RGB ones. So I think that will already get you to 6 (you should wait for someone else to confirm).

The fan positions available (120mm fans) for the 5000 case is in the picture below. However, I believe the 2 spots on the bottom are 'blocked' by the grfx card going in. So with the case I mention above, you have 3 on front already, then the 3 dots on the top will be the H150... and that leaves you buying 4 more - however is it really necessary - you will need to post budget, monitor etc and someone who knows systems can help you then.

1696092918206.png

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
I didn't post a full blown build sheet because I already know what I want specs wise. It was an aesthetic question regarding case + fans.

The top of the 5000 will take 6 fans if you push/pull them either side of the 360mm rad of the H150i. You're correct about the 2 on the bottom being blocked though. So 3+3 on the AIO rad, 3 on the side, 3 on the front panel, and I'm ignoring the rear vent.

My budget is unlimited, and it will be driving two of these: LG 34GP950G

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I didn't post a full blown build sheet because I already know what I want specs wise. It was an aesthetic question regarding case + fans.

The top of the 5000 will take 6 fans if you push/pull them either side of the 360mm rad of the H150i. You're correct about the 2 on the bottom being blocked though. So 3+3 on the AIO rad, 3 on the side, 3 on the front panel, and I'm ignoring the rear vent.

My budget is unlimited, and it will be driving two of these: LG 34GP950G
If you're budget is unlimited why are you going for such a mid range case???

The fan config will depend on the design of your system, but PCS wouldn't configure a push pull setup on the radiator, that's something you'd need to do.

Bhuna50

Author Level
If you've already made up your mind regarding the build contents and the number of fans, you will be better off discussing it directly with PCS then as to how this is to be built. As mentioned by @SpyderTracks - if your budget is unlimited, then better cases could be an option and remember, you can send in your own case - so maybe look at the 7000 series Corsairs :D

The AF120 fans are all wired and will connect to an iCue controller, which I believe takes 6 connections - therefore it will be 2 controllers (as per the 10 pack mentions).

Bhuna50

Author Level
Also, just a final comment if you do have unlimited budget, then consider the QX120 fans as they clip together and dont have a cable per fan - so where you have the 3 fans in a row this will help reduce cabling.

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
I've never really considered other cases tbh. I just liked the look of the 5000D airflow in that build video, plus I've got a Corsair Ironclaw mouse, Corsair K95 keyboard, and the AIO and fans would be Corsair, so I was going full fanboy I suppose.

I'm quite limited by space on my desk, and I was trying to avoid putting the case on the floor, which I would have to do with a case as big as the 7000D.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've never really considered other cases tbh. I just liked the look of the 5000D airflow in that build video, plus I've got a Corsair Ironclaw mouse, Corsair K95 keyboard, and the AIO and fans would be Corsair, so I was going full fanboy I suppose.

I'm quite limited by space on my desk, and I was trying to avoid putting the case on the floor, which I would have to do with a case as big as the 7000D.
Why don’t you want the case on the floor? Most cases are designed to be on the floor which is why they all have feet nowadays to give them clearance off the carpet

The case is not just about how it looks, it’s paramount to the airflow possible for all internal components. As you step up the component tier, you have to step up the case as well to be able to support the extra flow through required due to the more powerful components.

I’d strongly recommend getting some advice on the build as a whole, fitting that case with a 4090 suggests you may be unsure of the requirements for such high end components. Depending on your use case, the cpu instantly screams out as being an incorrect selection.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd also what to be sure that a top mounted push/pull AIO doesn't have clearance issues with RAM or VRMs on the motherboard, that's a thick rad combo.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I'd also what to be sure that a top mounted push/pull AIO doesn't have clearance issues with RAM or VRMs on the motherboard, that's a thick rad combo.
The video he links shows the H150i Capellix with RGB RAM on motherboard too - seems to be ok.

1696200824662.png

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Why don’t you want the case on the floor? Most cases are designed to be on the floor which is why they all have feet nowadays to give them clearance off the carpet

The case is not just about how it looks, it’s paramount to the airflow possible for all internal components. As you step up the component tier, you have to step up the case as well to be able to support the extra flow through required due to the more powerful components.

I’d strongly recommend getting some advice on the build as a whole, fitting that case with a 4090 suggests you may be unsure of the requirements for such high end components. Depending on your use case, the cpu instantly screams out as being an incorrect selection.

I will be multiboxing Eve Online clients, possibly 10-15 game clients, including screen recording one client (main character) with OBS and potentially streaming another client (cloaked spy character) on twitch or discord. Also need to have multiple game-related programs open in the background, voice comms, usually have a YouTube video or film streaming from my NAS on in the background, and multiple browser tabs open for market research, wormhole navigation tools, blueprint and industry information etc.

At the moment I'm doing this (albeit with fewer clients) with my ageing Octane III, an HP Elitedesk prebuilt and a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB (for the browser tabs).

I don't feel like 8 cores in 2023 is the right buy, especially given my use case, so I've ruled out the 7800X3D. Also, seeing as I would benefit more from the single core gaming performance of the 3D V-cache, I won't be overclocking, and the performance per watt is better, I feel like the 7950X3D makes more sense than the 7950X. I've ruled out Intel entirely because they are basically space heaters and my man cave gets quite warm in the summer. Plus AM5 will be supported much longer than LGA1700, which is already a deadend platform.

I didn't want my PC on the floor because of dust, plus I have 3 cats and when they're dicking about ripping lumps out of each other, the carpet gets quite furry :ROFLMAO: I suppose I could just hoover more often.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I didn't want my PC on the floor because of dust
Dust is exactly the same on the desk as the floor? The cats aren’t an issue with a modern case as they all have removable dust filters these days, especially at this level.

Do you understand how to manage the 7950X3D separate CCD's?

I would still strongly advise getting some advice.

Last edited:

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
Yes, assuming Windows doesn't manage core parking correctly by recognising games with the Xbox Gamebar, I'd have to set process affinity manually to make the game clients use the 3D v-cache CCD. Or use the high performance profile to stop the cores being parked and take a small hit to performance.