Could this be a virus?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hey everyone,

so am trying to fix the father in laws laptop (just a toshiba model, nothing fancy)

Can get past the password screen, as the keyboard and mouse wont work. tried all the usual steps, turn it off and on again....and so on..

I tried going into safe mode, nope that doesn't work, keyboard still wont work -.-

I tried connecting my USB keyboard and mouse up, to no avail, but i could get into the bios and the keyboard worked there.

Tried getting into safe mode that with that keyboard, but it wouldn't work either.

SO am guessing its not a hardware fault on the laptop, sounds like a virus to me?

any suggestions? At the moment am thinking Im going to have to reinstall the OS. Luckily I have a win 7 64 bit disk, as tohiba laptops dont come with a single disk! no OS disk, no drivers disk, no nothing!

steaky360

Damn that sounds irritating, maybe a fresh install of OS and some strict words about the calibre of internet activities your old man engages in is in order ;)

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
I'd try an ubuntu live CD to confirm that the problem is only present in windows (seeing as it works in BIOS before the OS is loaded). I had a similar problem but couldn't even get into the BIOS and was told it was the motherboard that was at fault, however the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work under any circumstances there.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
its running start up repair at the moment, so will leave it to do that, then try a fresh install...if it lets me...

tom, I dont use utuntu and wouldnt have a clue where to start lol.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
so im trying to reinstall now,

but its not letting me,

CMD has popped up, says

"x:/windows/system32"

any ideas?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Toshiba laptops usually have a recover to factory settings options,to do this.

Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.
If this doesn't work you either have a hardware issue or have deleted the recovery option by trying to reinstall windows from an OS disk.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Id also try a live CD of linux, ubuntu is probably best, its pretty easy to use, it will tell you what to do, you only need to check if the keyboard works anyway

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the messages guys,

I managed to get into the laptop, without reinstalling it! yay go me....

ran avast boot time scan....came up with 13 viruses!!!!

the keyboard works now, but the mouse still doesn't....

which reminded me of another problem he had with it, someone taught him to remove programs....suddenly his wireless stopped working, lol turns out he unistalled the wifi drivers!!!! looking at his list on installed programs, hes got a small handful of programs, so am guessing hes done it again, but this time the touch pad drivers!!!!

LOL

steaky360

I think, we will need to have "the talk about the internet" :)

old-people-on-computers1.jpg

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
thanks for the messages guys,

I managed to get into the laptop, without reinstalling it! yay go me....

ran avast boot time scan....came up with 13 viruses!!!!

the keyboard works now, but the mouse still doesn't....

which reminded me of another problem he had with it, someone taught him to remove programs....suddenly his wireless stopped working, lol turns out he unistalled the wifi drivers!!!! looking at his list on installed programs, hes got a small handful of programs, so am guessing hes done it again, but this time the touch pad drivers!!!!

LOL

13 is that all? about a year ago I scanned my mum and dads laptops with AVG, and MBAM, and between them, got well over 500 results