Crackling/rattling sound coming from Vortex III

After Glow

Right so a few nights ago I suddenly heard this odd crackling/rattling sound coming from what I believe to be my back left vent (or around that area). It mainly seems to happen when moving the laptop about but does occasionally when stationary. The noise is very audible and I suppose no rattling sound from a laptop is a good sign. Not only that but when I was sitting with it on my knees earlier on a screw dropped out of it, I can't find where it's come from but im 95% sure it did indeed drop from the bottom/side of the laptop. And before you say it, no, the screw was not responsible for the rattling sound as it's still happening. I know it could be a million different things but could anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on? I've got the 3 year gold warranty but it is still a pain having to send it off. Oh and I've never dropped the laptop before however I may have bumped into a few things with it when walking around or carrying it in my bag (although protected).

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Crackling/rattling sounds doesn't sound like a software issue. :)

If you can take the back off (make sure all those screws are there) then have a look around inside to see if you can see any other screws that look like the one you have and then see whether others are missing.

If that doesn't help I'd call PCS and get it sent back. If something is loose enough to make a noise then it needs looking at I think. Sorry.

After Glow

Crackling/rattling sounds doesn't sound like a software issue. :)

If you can take the back off (make sure all those screws are there) then have a look around inside to see if you can see any other screws that look like the one you have and then see whether others are missing.

If that doesn't help I'd call PCS and get it sent back. If something is loose enough to make a noise then it needs looking at I think. Sorry.

Won't taking the back off void my warranty?

Tom DWC

It's probably the CPU fan, I had the same issue with a "rattling" noise of sorts coming from the back left of the laptop, seemingly from the vent. While only audible when quiet it was still distracting enough.

On investigating further the bearing on the fan had gone, when I took it out you could hear it just by spinning it manually. It's really easy to change over because it just sits on top, a case of taking the panel off, unplugging it and swapping it over. All you need is a screwdriver. If you can establish whether it is the problem then worth getting in touch with PCS for a replacement which they will probably just send out (you may need to return the faulty fan though) so you won't need to be without your laptop.

Last edited: