Currying Favour

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Katsu is a religious experience!
When I first moved to Cambridge to study I still did a bit of part time cheffing to help pay the bills and worked in the kitchen at All Bar One. There was a branch of Wagamama above us and we had a connecting staircase.

We were all bored of eating off our own menu so one evening I crept upstairs and suggested to their head chef that we cook for each other. So I took a load of burgers and tapas up to feed them and in return, they later dropped off a smorgasbord of Asian delights. That’s when I discovered the joy of chicken katsu. Fortunately for me, Wagamama only use a very small amount of coconut milk in theirs so I don’t get coconarked 👍

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't mind the heat, as long as it's got some a good depth of flavour. Some of the very hot ones are nothing but heat with no flavour. My mate keeps ordering a Chicken Chilli Masala with fried chillies as a side dish - but the fried chillies are like eating spicy grasshoppers.

I really like the clean, crisp flavours of a nice Thai green curry with sticky rice - with a Tom Yum Gai to start. But then I also love Wagamama's firecracker chicken.

We only have one 'good' Indian restaurant locally (everything made from scratch and will add/remove items if requested). The only other local place is a takeaway a couple of doors down but there's is all pre-prepared lamb & chicken cubes that they warm up in pre-prepared sauces :mad:

If I want something hot & tasty I go for a chicken or prawn Silheti Naga or our local's Afghan curry. If I want something less spicy I'll go for their Flaming Rajma or Chilli & Garlic.

Sylheti Naga: Exotic, spicy, tasty and hot dish, specially garnished with Sylheti naga chilli in hot spicy thick consistency sauce, green chillies and garnished with coriander
Afghan: Stir-fried with fresh green chillies, ginger, garlic & onions. Red & green peppers give the dish a colourful appearance. A highly recommended and satisfying dish
Flaming Rajma: Its unique preparation consists of diced chunky onions & sliced red capsicum pepper, garlic, ginger, plum tomatoes, fenugreek and ground spices, all of which creates a rich consistency. Garnished with brandy.
Chilli Garlic: Stir-fried in an exotic mix of spices with capsicum, spring onions, green chillies, fresh ginger, soya sauce, tabasco sauce, and garnished with fresh coriander.

KippleKat

Enthusiast
I'm probably going to go with my favourite type of spice being a close one between Korean chili, Schezwan and red Thai I love a well seasoned Indian Naga chili dish too, I find I can handle really hot dishes but I prefer them to not be crazy so I can taste the food. When you go with something extremely hot I find you often lose the flavour.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
OMG, it was 10 minute burn, not 15, and they actually sell it, but apparently it was banned from festivals, guessing that's what the guy who passed out tried!

It seems they also have a 20 minute burn version... as if it was necessary!

Skip to 3.03 in the video to get to the taste test and enjoy the violent hiccups... HUERGGHHHH!

It seems they also have a 20 minute burn version... as if it was necessary!

Skip to 3.03 in the video to get to the taste test and enjoy the violent hiccups... HUERGGHHHH!

reminds me of the hot ones series on youtube he interviews celebrity's while they eat progressively hot chicken wings
clip from shaq interview as he smack talks da bomb chicken wing

rouchie

Rising Star
Jhalfrezi is my favourite, and I probably sit between the 2 camps as I dont consider myself a loo roll in the freezer type of man, but do like to feel the warm chilli glow and moisture forming on my face

Bhuna50

Author Level
If anyone knows me, they know I like my currys :D - especially if you game with me in any MMORPGs - started playing Ultima Online when it first came out 1997 and all my character and pet names were:

Bhuna (who's horse was called Rice)
Jalfrezi (who's horse was called Naan)
Balti (no horse)
Korma (horse name was Bhaji)
Dhansak (dragon called Chicken)
Phaar

and many more variants

I have no favourites - and have takeaway / go out (pre covid and will in future) enough to just enjoy various flavours each time :D

There is one correlation I found though - the more alcohol I drink the hotter the curry at the end of the evening. LOL.

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
My Mrs will always tell me I ruin my food by putting too much hot sauce, or chilli powder in etc.

BUT

A chicken tikka masala from an Indian takeaway just hits differently for me, I love it!

rouchie

Rising Star
reminds me of the hot ones series on youtube he interviews celebrity's while they eat progressively hot chicken wings
clip from shaq interview as he smack talks da bomb chicken wing

That is such a good watch, love to see their faces as the heat builds after each sample

loso64

That is such a good watch, love to see their faces as the heat builds after each sample
i have the season 13 Puckerbutt hot sauce home myself, boy is that an experience :D i think it is number 9 spot in that season. It is super tasty, but it will make you feel like you are burning from inside :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I love a curry...... but curry is not created equal.

Now, this is just my jurisdictional experience... but..... I find hot curries in Scotland hotter than those in England. I always wondered how on earth there were so many below the border folks able to rattle a Vindaloo/Phal without any sweat.... until I tried one in England, and I was genuinely gutted at how "mild" it was. Now don't get me wrong, it had me sweating..... but I polished it off no bother. Up here I need 2 goes at a proper Phal to finish it and I wouldn't even say I'm enjoying it that much.

Up here, the hottest I tend to enjoy is a Madras. Even then it varies by Curry house to Curry house for me as some are proper hot, and some are palatable. When eating out I tend to save myself from the sweats and just go for a South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken (probably my favourite now).

For a proper experience though, head on into your local takeaway and ask them if they will do a curry pizza for you, or a Calzone. Been doing them up here since the early 2000s (locally to me) yet I'm always surprised to find that folks haven't even considered this (from Glasgow and the surrounding areas, unsure about south of the border).

A great starting point is a South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken Pizza/Calzone. It just ticks so many of my favourites boxes in one sitting. My eyes glass over like a shark with the first bite.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oh, anecdotal....

My mate brought me in a jar of Pataks or Sharwoods limited edition Ghost Chilli (Bhut Jolokia) sauce/paste about 15 years back. I didn't quite make it to the instructions, as they are always WAY milder than the exclaim, but this one absolutely blew the roof of my head.

I barely managed 1/4 of the curry and it took me a further 2 attempts to eat it. Normally a reheated curry has most of the sting out of it, but this thing didn't, it was ridiculous. The heat accumulated with every bite too.

It was one of the few occasions where the label actually read correctly. Very limited edition indeed.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh, anecdotal....

My mate brought me in a jar of Pataks or Sharwoods limited edition Ghost Chilli (Bhut Jolokia) sauce/paste about 15 years back. I didn't quite make it to the instructions, as they are always WAY milder than the exclaim, but this one absolutely blew the roof of my head.

I barely managed 1/4 of the curry and it took me a further 2 attempts to eat it. Normally a reheated curry has most of the sting out of it, but this thing didn't, it was ridiculous. The heat accumulated with every bite too.

It was one of the few occasions where the label actually read correctly. Very limited edition indeed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now, this is just my jurisdictional experience... but..... I find hot curries in Scotland hotter than those in England.
Obviously. The winters in Scotland are just so much colder.....

10-Traditional-Winter-Esentials-from-kashmir-550x300.jpg