Dead PC

joamea

I've just come back from holiday to find my old PC won't start up. There aren't any beeps, the hard drive light stays on constantly and there's nothing on the display. I've a new PC arriving tomorrow, but I need to get my files off the old machine. It's obviously taken the hump because I've ordered its successor! :(

Technical advice urgently required!

Jo

Gorman

Author Level
Best to give us a call tomorrow Jo, if it wont even power on theres not a lot we can post for you to try.

Except the obvious, fuse plug etc

Sleinous

Author Level
I've just come back from holiday to find my old PC won't start up. There aren't any beeps, the hard drive light stays on constantly and there's nothing on the display. I've a new PC arriving tomorrow, but I need to get my files off the old machine. It's obviously taken the hump because I've ordered its successor! :(

Technical advice urgently required!

Jo

Getting the files off the old PC will be a piece of cake :)

Even if it has the old IDE connector, providing you didnt order an ASUS Rampage 3 mobo otherwise you have to buy anothr load of addons -.-

Anyway, take out old drive, slot in new pc, or leave outside temporarily while you take everything off it. Hook it up to an available SATA port, or IDE, use the IDE cable from your old comp if it is IDE, use one of the SATA cables given to you in your welcome box if its SATA.

Obviously this is all providing your HDD hasnt had a mechanical failure, e.g. arm

joamea

More info.

Getting the files off the old PC will be a piece of cake :)

Even if it has the old IDE connector, providing you didnt order an ASUS Rampage 3 mobo otherwise you have to buy anothr load of addons -.-

Anyway, take out old drive, slot in new pc, or leave outside temporarily while you take everything off it. Hook it up to an available SATA port, or IDE, use the IDE cable from your old comp if it is IDE, use one of the SATA cables given to you in your welcome box if its SATA.

Obviously this is all providing your HDD hasnt had a mechanical failure, e.g. arm

Basically, just before we went on holiday, my hubby complained of having a couple of glitches trying to get it to start up. Pressing the on switch resulted in the fans coming on but nothing else happened. He did get it to boot up after a couple of attempts, but as the new PC's arrival was expected very soon, I thought I'd leave it alone and back everything up when the new PC arrived.

Today we came home from holiday and when I pressed the on button, the fans came on, but nothing else happened. There were no beeps, no signal to the monitor. Nothing. I turned it off and tried again, and it blew the fuse in the mains lead. I swapped the mains lead and now the fans run, and the orange light that normally indicates the hard drive is spinning (which normally flickers) stays on constantly. No boot up. Something has died or fried!

It was built by PCS in 2007 (Order No 178488) and has had relatively heavy use. The hard drive was reformatted in April. It's a 160GB SATA II drive, 10,000 rpm running on Windows XP. There's a secondary drive (500GB split into 2 partitions), that's also a SATA II drive and was used to store my photo files, most are backed up.

Jo

steveuk87

Super Star
sounds like BIOS going corrupt to me!! meh nothing much you can do tbh apart from plug it in to your new pc and hope its not your HDD thats knackered!

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
The old machine has sata drives? then its an easy win. Give us a call when you get your new machine and our call centre guys will talk you through attaching the old drives to the new machine. You will see them as additional storage and be able to drag your files / folders off it.