DED's Spec Ponderings

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hi all,

Give or take a month or 3, I seem to change my PC every 3 years. This actually wasn't planned, but with the way tech moves on I actually think it works out quite nicely :) And as of the start of April, my Sniper has passed her third birthday.

Anyway, there is technically nothing "wrong" with my Sniper, but I am pretty sure you can't actually buy some of the parts she has in her any more...such is the way of computers :)

So, rather than just replace her willy (teehee) nilly, I thought i'd just open a thread about my possible new machine, which could obviously change depending on how long I ponder it.

Now of course, I coooooould go down the route of upgrading my current rig (I looked at it last year in fact), but, and I know it does seem a bit extravagant, I actually like that new rig feeling :D Waffle waffle. So here is what I have so far from the Configuratron (still going to make that a word!), and it is by no means meant to be perfect or final, so pick holes! :)

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS SE GAMING TOWER (Windowed) Because my Snipe wasn't ridiculous enough!

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache OP? Maybe, but I currently have an i7, so dammit it would just feel wrong to get an i5 now :)

Motherboard
ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE No idea (though the Configuratron forced me to do it...because reasons)

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB) Yup

Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready Not too extreme, but new enough (bit like when I got the 570 when 580s were all the rage

1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) MOAR SPACE!! and really not sure I need an SSD tbh

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM Pondering a Blu Ray, because it isn't actually much more

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET Yey for Modular! (still no idea what it means, but it seems PCS don't even offer any else now)

Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Seidon 120V High Performance CPU Cooler Hmm, I tried for the triple pipe, but the Configuratron wouldn't let ...think it was summit to do with the case...or CPU...or...something...I am just not sure about Water Cooling. I don't feel it is needed, and only opens you up to potential problems :)

Fan Controller
AeroCool Touch 2000 LCD Touch Screen 4 Fan Controller + 2 x Front USB BECAUSE TOUCH SCREEN!...AND REASONS!

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) Pfft, sound card shmound card

Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD Should be standard, comeon PCS!

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence Oooooooooo not sure...7 or 8...ooooooo, up for discussion at a later date (might not get to deciding until Windows 9 anyway...)

DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) May go Gold, just cos, but again, can be changed well before I even think of ordering

Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON Diamonds yo (this does mean free diamonds with your rig right?)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH Pre-production? Nuh uh, not doing that again! (and oh yeh, just remembered, this was the thing that stopped the triple pipe cooler, so obviously might not even be an issue when I order)

So anyway, just some wonderings and thoughts :) (and a lot longer than I meant it to be!)

Cheers

DED

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If I help you, would you donate your old PC to me ;D

You may want to wait for the 800 series Nvidia GPUs, they are late enough as it is and I think they should be here soon. I was going to get a 770 myself but I'm going to wait now. Same with other components that have been around for a while and are expecting a refresh soon. Maybe even DDR4!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
What sort of games do you play? Any budget?

Really keynes? Really?! :)

To be honest, the budget side hasn't even come into the picture yet because my time frame is unknown. Really just looking at ideas, without going OTT (yeh we've all seen those rigs posted that clearly the poster is never actually going to buy :) )

Yeh as ever Wozz that is the issue...wait for the next bit etc etc. But you are right about when there are major new releases, so that kind of thing is really useful thanks (and any more tidbits of course :) )

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh I just said it as the new 800 series should have been just round the corner. But seems that they have had production problems with the new 20nm process so has been delayed. But personally I'm not too bothered about upgrading at the moment although SLI is just annoying :/

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
What's your current PC specs? Good to know so we can see if it's worthwhile :)

And modular PSUs just have removable cables I believe, so if you don't need one of them then you can remove it to help with cable management.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm, first time I have noticed my spec sig doesn't work any more! (might have to look into that). Will go get it now, for reference, but I am wholly confident a new rig will be much more betterer than upgrading this'un :)

This'un :)

COOLERMASTER CM STORM SNIPER - NEXT GEN GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
looking at your spec ded, there is nothing wrong with the cpu, motherboard, ram, hdd, psu, cpu cooler.

I'd get a new gpu such as a 770, and a 120gb ssd along with a fresh OS install. Job done.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
looking at your spec ded, there is nothing wrong with the cpu, motherboard, ram, hdd, psu, cpu cooler.

I'd get a new gpu such as a 770, and a 120gb ssd along with a fresh OS install. Job done.

Don't listen to Tom, buy a new one. A new case smells better :) get a gtx 780 and blu ray player.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh personally I'd go with Tom's suggestion. Tech is not advancing as quickly as it once was and processors are only getting a small performance boost every year. And getting a new PC, the only performance differences would be from the storage and graphics card.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Don't listen to Tom, buy a new one. A new case smells better :) get a gtx 780 and blu ray player.

No Rep for Keynes, lol haha.

Yeh personally I'd go with Tom's suggestion. Tech is not advancing as quickly as it once was and processors are only getting a small performance boost every year. And getting a new PC, the only performance differences would be from the storage and graphics card.

Rep for Wozza... hhaha :)

But yeah, no point dude, you will see zero performance increase between the i7 2600 you have now and a i7 4770 - other than the latter will probably run hotter.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Mr Tom, how many unnecessary upgrades have you done in the last 10 months? :yes:

10 months? hmmm, let me check will edit it in ;)

well, only the 128gb ssd I picked up for 60 quid a few months back.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
No Rep for Keynes, lol haha.

Rep for Wozza... hhaha :)

But yeah, no point dude, you will see zero performance increase between the i7 2600 you have now and a i7 4770 - other than the latter will probably run hotter.

Well in terms of heat and energy it would be the opposite. 2600 is built on a 32nm process and the 4770 is on a 22nm process which results in a nice reduction in power and heat

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It says we are on 14 posts in the thread, but I only see 9, and all I see after George's post are posts from Key talking to himself...

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It says we are on 14 posts in the thread, but I only see 9, and all I see after George's post are posts from Key talking to himself...

For some strange reason us moderators seem to be having out posts moderated, Steaky told me about my posts being moderated a while back and now im noticing I am moderating posts of other mods. So that's probably your reason, we cant be trusted obviously.

On the subject of upgrading, I'm in the same boat myself now. I really want to upgrade to get some decent kit. My last rig was a kind of budget build with some degree of upgradability built in, and sure enough I've upgraded parts here and there but I'm out of SATA ports (remember the Cougar Point chipset issue?) So I only really ever had 2 working ports but I knew this when buying.

The rest of the components are alright, but I'd like something I can upgrade to infinity and beyond... I'm definitely going to grab a decent motherboard and a plenty big enough PSU then just stick with it. if your already in the position of having an i7 and a big enough PSU with a fully working motherboard, whats the point in splashing the cash?

Rakk

The Awesome
For some strange reason us moderators seem to be having out posts moderated, Steaky told me about my posts being moderated a while back and now im noticing I am moderating posts of other mods. So that's probably your reason, we cant be trusted obviously.
Nah, that just happens if we reply to a post/thread that has been moderated and it isn't approved when we reply - cos it'd be silly if the reply to post was approved when the original wasn't :)

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace

Yes,what Rakk said,I've noticed you answering quite a few posts that are in queue for moderation :)

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmmm, it could be I suppose, I do tend to open a whole load of posts I intend to deal with and maybe I'm forgetting which ones I was supposed to moderate.... But normally I always deal with those first, approve everything then by the time I come back Keynes has already posted and I don't have to :p

Hmm, what had me confused is I saw a couple recently for tom and one for steaky. I didn't spend too much time trying to work out what was going on but I guess that could have been it.