Defi

Bronco

I took delivery of a min pc but don't know if it works yet.
I was an IT tech till retirement 4 years ago so not a novice. However dvi-d connections are new to me. My monitor is vga connected. I have the correct adaptor (eventually after buying a dvi-i one). The monitor is two years old and not ready for landfill for quite a while. The monitor's web page says vga cannot connect to dvi-d. If this is so, why is there not a query when ordering to confirm that the monitor you have is compatible or not? I have a pc which is unusable - cannot afford a new monitor for many months yet (I've just paid £300 for a pc and need to get that cleared off the credit card first). And I do not believe that I should get rid of a good monitor - that is an offensive concept.
Can a vga monitor be persuaded to speak to a dvi-d connected pc through an adaptor?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Can a vga monitor be persuaded to speak to a dvi-d connected pc through an adaptor?
I managed to connect my TV (VGA) to my gpu (DVI), I used a DVI to VGA display monitor cable.
Edit: I used a 9800 GT Nvidia gpu which I think had a DVI-I connection.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
I don't think VGA can talk to DVI-D, since DVI-D is entirely digital and VGA is analogue.

Though is the connection you have on your graphics card DVI-D or DVI-I, if it is DVI-I you will be perfectly fine, if DVI-D then I don't think you will have any luck.

Note, I'd be surprised if a two-year old monitor didn't have a DVI or HDMI connection, my 4-5 year old one has DVI at least.

Edit: if you look on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface it will show you what the different DVI connections look like, about half way down the page

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A DVI-D port has no analog connections,you cant use it with a monitor that only has a VGA port.Is DVI-D the only option on your PC.
Edit : Rakk beat me to it.

Last edited: