Delivery Issue

neisco

Hi all.

Just flagging up that I had an email from PCS yesterday timed at 07:15 saying my computer had been dispatched.

I have had people waiting today at the delivery address but nothing has arrived.

Yodel tracking states that

Parcel returned to delivery depot 25-aug-2011 19:13:00 CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
No One To Receive Card Left 25-aug-2011 17:18:00 NULL CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
Delay on courier route. 25-aug-2011 17:16:01 CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
Out for delivery 25-aug-2011 08:43:00 CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
Scanned as part of secure process 25-aug-2011 08:01:00 CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
Arrived At Depot 25-aug-2011 08:01:00 CARLISLE SERVICE CENTRE
Departed Depot 25-aug-2011 00:36:38 HATFIELD TERMINAL
Arrived At Depot 25-aug-2011 00:34:02 HATFIELD TERMINAL
Departed Depot 24-aug-2011 18:38:00 LEEDS SERVICE CENTRE
Parcel Picked Up 24-aug-2011 15:59:00 LEEDS SERVICE CENTRE
Parcel data received awaiting coll. 24-aug-2011 00:00:00 LEEDS SERVICE CENTRE

This is fine - except that no card has been left at the delivery address. As I say, someone has been in all day.

I guess I'll have to ring Yodel somehow from work tomorrow. I don't mind it not being delivered today at all but I do mind the statement about the card.

Neil

Rakk

The Awesome
Yeah, best to give Yodel and/or PCS a call in the morning, see if something can be sorted out.

I have heard rumour that if the delivery drivers run out of time they sometimes say they left a card but in fact went nowhere near the address, whether this is true or not though I do not know, it could be completely false.

Reactions: PCS

neisco

Cheers, aye, looks like that might have happened! Hopefully it'll be easy enough to sort out another delivery!

neisco

I phoned Yodel this morning to rearrange delivery and was told it would have to be done Tuesday. I said OK. Later I thought I may as well pick up from depot myself so rang again, to be told it was on the road again today anyway. It was delivered today at 16:15ish.

neisco

Just to inform others.

Unpacked and plugged PC in this evening. Wouldn't boot. Saying boot file not found, choose boot file device or insert media into chosen device. You can guess my reactions. I thought it would be one of two things - given that it would be expected to boot from hard drive, either a prob with hard drive, or they'd booted from cd drive in testing and not reset BIOS boot priority.

I looked inside case - connections to hard drive from power supply & motherboard were OK. I tried to boot and went into BIOS boot menu. 1st priority for boot device was "removable device" or similar. I looked at options. Nearest to hard drive seemed to be a Hitachi device. Selected that. No joy on reboot. Fiddled about with these settings. I have a Caviar Black 750GB drive - it wasn't shown. Gave up, intending to ring PCS Sat am.

Then, a bit later, I had another bash. This time, I found an entry referring to my drive in the BIOS (hadn't been there before). I selected that. The PC then seemed to be going into windows at last, only to revert to boot up screen and the same failure.

I thought - "dodgy connection. I've checked connections INTO hard drive and from power supply but not connection FROM motherboard to hard drive".

Sure enough, that was loose and I pushed it in.

Result - all working OK.

Computers and computer companies eh?? I put it down to excessive busyness.

I have to deal with computer software at work so I am used to these hassles!!

My previous purchase from PCS in 2005 was totally hassle-free. Hope this one will be henceforth!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To be fair to PCS neisco,it must have been connected ok for them to do the OS installation & testing,
the connection probably came loose in transit.

Last edited:

neisco

delivery issue

Well, this morning it again failed to boot with the original error.

I was just about to disconnect it and reconnect old PC when I thought I would retry and write down the error messages for research/contacting PCS.

This time it has booted up.

Dodgy connection/hardware? Teething troubles?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try a clean install,instructions are given in the welcome booklet,this may fix the problem,
failing that,phone tech support.

neisco

issues

I went back into BIOS menu and saw that it wasn't selecting my HDD as 1st choice in the boot sequence. It was selecting a "hitachi" device (don't have one). I set it to select my HDD and it's worked ever since!

Hope it carries on working. It's a great PC.

neisco

issues

Well, my HDD is a Caviar Black, that's western digital isn't it, - ain't no other one in there?

All seems to be running shipshape now, though windows updates are driving me mad, taking ages and just now causing a bit of messing about on boot-up - ie, booted into windows then automatically rebooted, then sat on a windows update screen, then rebooted OK automatically.

But that'll be windows update, nowt to do with the PC? I've not had windows 7 before - are the updates always huge?

Fingers crossed, it's looking good PC-wise though.

Corfate

Author Level
Mine took a while to do updates when i first got it connected up. Seemed to do updates on each shut down for the next few nights..

Grab yourself a cup of tea, sit in your chair and just admire your pc ;)

neisco

issues

Seems like good advice!

Mine took a while to do updates when i first got it connected up. Seemed to do updates on each shut down for the next few nights..

Grab yourself a cup of tea, sit in your chair and just admire your pc ;)

neisco

issues

All still pretty good.

Wondering if some of the initial boot-up issue was to do with it trying to boot off an external HDD ("usb Hitachi")??

Also tonight and last night it seems to have lost touch with the external drive (plugged in and on but not detected)?