Delivery time question

Ste1

Hi I ordered a pc on 03/06 with estimated delivery time 10-12 days.
I'm currently on pre production for 11 days and there's no way it will be made and shipped by tomorrow .

I'm wondering if I should expect to wait 18-20 working days or is this only for new orders?
Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Build schedules are all over the place at present both with the COVID restrictions that PCS are having to work under and the worldwide shortage of some components.

Give them a call if you want to find out what the current position is with your build. [emoji846]

Via Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm currently on pre production for 11 days and there's no way it will be made and shipped by tomorrow .

I'm wondering if I should expect to wait 18-20 working days or is this only for new orders?
Thanks
Any mention of days is working days so that's monday to friday and not including any bank holidays.

So yours is only 8 days so far.

But expect about 25 working days and you won't be dissappointed.

Ste1

Oh it actually states 11 working days and it's 12 working days from the 3rd.
Just read another topic and seems people are waiting over 20.

I feel pretty disheartened waiting 25 days to be fair and will most likely cancel it and order something later in the year when "new" stuff is out

thanks for the reply

RussDW

I completely echo everyone's centiments here. My son placed an order on his birthday, on 14 working days (max) leadtime.
We are now on workig day 18, and it is STILL not even in production. jhis really is not acceptible in my opinion.
When we placed the order we were informed that it would be 14 days, and i really do feel like we have been duped into placing the order.
It has been 18 days now, and according to the flowchart even if it goes into production tomorrow (very unlikely obviously) then we still have another 6 days to wait.
Furthermore on the same page it states that the average desktop is 24.5 days (with 85% taking 28 days!), and mini desktop is 28 days.
SO WHY ON EARTH DOES THE ORDER PROCESS STILL STATE 14 WORKING DAYS?
Once the money has been taken the leadtime is doubled?
I would love someone to try to explain the logic in this to me?
Please don't tell me that it is the current situation, or the shortage of components, SURELY the notice on leadtime of 14 days on the website should be changed to provide customers with a realistic leadtime, or allow them to go elsewhere.
Really dishearted for my son who was so looking forward to his birthday PC, and this situation has left a bitter taste for both me and my son, both were potential repeat customers in the future when we placed this order.

Attachments

• Averages.png
    Averages.png
    30 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
SO WHY ON EARTH DOES THE ORDER PROCESS STILL STATE 14 WORKING DAYS?
The estimate when you make the order is just an estimate based on previous volume of sales. That doesn't change throughout your order, it's stated that once.

If you look now, the order estimate on PC's is 18 - 20 days.

Again, it's just an estimate based on historical data, there's no clever analysis or prediction of future ordering. I'm sure that's possible in order systems these days but would cost a cool few million for the software, plugged into rather expensive AI capable servers.

There have been various mitigating factors over the last few weeks.

1/. Historically high orders. You've placed your order exactly when everyone else in the country has. Everyone is ordering systems at the moment as they're all working from home as I'm sure you realise.

2/. Wordwide stock shortages.

It's not something we can give you anything other than news on from publically available news sites, plus stock levels on all major retailers like Amazon, Overclockers, eBuyer... you name it. Everyone is low on stocks of various components.

The world - in our lifetimes - has never faced a scenario like this before. PCS are not a ginormous operation, and I think given the volume of sales, plus the very difficult working conditions they face to keep their staff safe, they are doing an incredible job.

I'm very sorry that your son isn't going to receive his bday present on his bday, but I really do ask that you have some patience and understanding. If you need to vent to PCS directly, they don't monitor these forums, they are moderated by people who have been present on the forum for a period and are familiar with PCS workflow either just by being on the forums, or because they're customers themselves as I am.

RussDW

Thanks immensley for your repsonse,
And thanks for proveing my point!
I placed my order when it said 10-14 working days - this is clearly incorrect and misleading.
If they know there is a shortage, and high demand then change the information to the correct information - it really is that simple.
Even changing it to 18-20 days is misleading. as 85% are 28 days (between 21-28 working days)! That is not 18-20 days.

All i am asking is that we (the customers) are treated correctly, and given all the information at the outset, not mislead.
If you cannot put the correct timescales on something you over-estimate don't you to give yourself some slack.
So why not say 30-35 days, and then your customer have expectations set correctly, and they are please when it turns up in 28 days?
This is just simple business psychology and ensures satisfied customers every time, - Just read all the comments above from those who are disatified. Then let the customers decide whether they place the order or not.
And that is the reason that they are misdleading us, becasue we would not have placed an order if we were told at the outset that it would that 28+ working days. The order was placed in good faith of less than 3 weeks delivered to us, we are now midway through week 4 and they haven't even started building it yet.

I will most certainly be calling them today, and depending on the response, potentailly taking my busienss elsewhere.
Business basics - tell the customers the truth or be preapred to lose them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks immensley for your repsonse,
And thanks for proveing my point!
I placed my order when it said 10-14 working days - this is clearly incorrect and misleading.
If they know there is a shortage, and high demand then change the information to the correct information - it really is that simple.
Even changing it to 18-20 days is misleading. as 85% are 28 days (between 21-28 working days)! That is not 18-20 days.

All i am asking is that we (the customers) are treated correctly, and given all the information at the outset, not mislead.
If you cannot put the correct timescales on something you over-estimate don't you to give yourself some slack.
So why not say 30-35 days, and then your customer have expectations set correctly, and they are please when it turns up in 28 days?
This is just simple business psychology and ensures satisfied customers every time, - Just read all the comments above from those who are disatified. Then let the customers decide whether they place the order or not.
And that is the reason that they are misdleading us, becasue we would not have placed an order if we were told at the outset that it would that 28+ working days. The order was placed in good faith of less than 3 weeks delivered to us, we are now midway through week 4 and they haven't even started building it yet.

I will most certainly be calling them today, and depending on the response, potentailly taking my busienss elsewhere.
Business basics - tell the customers the truth or be preapred to lose them.
I understand your frustration, and you're not alone. Most of us on here however don't work for PCS and the few PCS staff who do visit here are here rarely at the moment because they're too busy. I appreciate that it's good to let off steam but please appreciate that none of us on here can either explain or help. We are as much in the dark about delivery schedules and why they are all over the place as you. The moderators have been (and are) using their contacts with PCS employees to stress the frustration the delivery uncertainty is causing.

I do know that PCS have to implement the same social distancing rules as any other business and that has had a very severe impact on both build times and build volumes. In addition there is a continuing (and escalating) worldwide shortage of key components, most of which originate in Asia. On top of that the order volume has gone through the roof, we can see that from the marked increase in posts on here. I guess that's caused by people having to work from home or spend more time at home. It's understandable but it doesn't help.

I know you have already asked us not to blame the above factors but they are the real cause.

I don't know how PCS derive the estimated build times. I do know that they are first and foremost estimates and not guarantees. They never have been guaranteed.. I also know that they are based largely on historical data from PCS's build times over some recent period. I suspect that they are generated automatically and I do wonder whether the algorithm they use isn't able to cope with the reduced build workforce and in particular with unreliable stock levels. I think the old adage of 'garbage in garbage out' applies.

I fear that PCS will not have the time or personnel to modify whatever algorithms they use to more accurately reflect build times in what is, hopefully, a short-term emergency. The solution they may choose to implement might be to turn that system off and to stop quoting build time estimates at all. The problem with that of course, as I'm sure PCS know, is that the phone lines will be under even more pressure with customers wanting to know when they can expect their PC or laptop.

Taking your business elsewhere is always an option, though I'd think that every other custom builder is in a similar position regarding staffing levels etc. They will most certainly be suffering the same worldwide stock shortages as PCS.

I feel for you, I'm sure we all do, it must be heartbreaking to have to disappoint your son and nothing that anyone can do or say is going to make up for that. If you choose to go elsewhere I hope you have a better experience, though hand on heart I doubt it. :)

stegor

Bright Spark
This is just simple business psychology and ensures satisfied customers every time, - Just read all the comments above from those who are disatified.

Quoting 30-35 days may put some customers off so it wouldn't make business sense - there needs to be a happy medium. Yes it may be a little optimistic but from a business point of view you need to balance expectations and reality with selling your product in a competitive market.
As to "read all the comments above" you mention, these are minuscule compared to the customers who don't complain.

Ste1

Your right people wouldn't of placed a order if the estimated time was 28 working days 😛

I messaged them around 4 days ago and was told they are completing orders between 14-18 working days give or take, so I'm unsure what to believe

All the parts are in stock

keithbeaks

Enthusiast

Thanks

Are you sure it was 10-12 days?

I ordered before you and my estimate was longer than that. Not saying it wasn't and you probably have an email saying it was, so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just surprised.

Just to warn you I believe people were on 18 working days and still in pre production only a day or two ago.

I'm not expecting my system for another two weeks. I'm on 16 working days

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
I'm not sure people understand the percentages for 7, 14, 21 and 28 days.......

It would help you if you did. If you add up the percentages, they total more than 100%....

Last edited:

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Your right people wouldn't of placed a order if the estimated time was 28 working days 😛

I messaged them around 4 days ago and was told they are completing orders between 14-18 working days give or take, so I'm unsure what to believe

All the parts are in stock

It isn't 28 days...... The 28 days percentage is the amount of orders that are delivered in that time. So that includes 22-28 working days..... And every order under that......

I would guess that orders over 28 days are those placed with certain parts out of stock.

Ste1

They sent me this 4 days ago. So I was going off this

Attachments

• B6F1AD35-5016-48E9-B2B1-6737062E92AB.jpeg
    B6F1AD35-5016-48E9-B2B1-6737062E92AB.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 255

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
They sent me this 4 days ago. So I was going off this

Ok I thought you meant when you placed the order you were told 10-12 days.

In my order email it says 12-14 days and I'm on 16.

I've ordered this PC for work and i needed it the day I ordered. But I don't regard the reasons for how long orders are taking to be excuses, I think they're legit.

Who knows how many staff have been off work at various times with symptoms or actually covid19? I'm more concerned about that, than an emotional attachment to a PC. We are spoilt by next day delivery, but need to remember this is for ready made goods. Bespoke and handcrafted businesses will have been impacted more than any, across various industries.

Who knows if PCS could do a better job with lead times? Probably? Maybe not?

I ordered a monitor two weeks ago from devil itself (I am sorry) and it's still not here..... It turned out to be a good thing for me, as I've cancelled and will now likely order something much better for my needs. That obviously won't be the case with your PC, but I've read many posts recently about people being in love with their new PC. And I might be with mine when it arrives. Maybe I was wrong about the emotional attachment haha..

Ste1

I am saying ordered all new stuff based on the estimated delivery time of pc ,so everything is here ,but now I could potentionally be waiting another 15 working days for the machine!

Last edited: