Desktop arrived this morning, few questions/issues

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Hi all,

Amazed at the delivery service and speed on which the PC arrived.

I have one or two issues I'd like to ask about before getting to grips and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 etc.

In my order I had an SSD (120Gb) for boot drive and an extra 2TB drive - The system cant seem to find the HDD - I've checked the sata connections as best I can.. (hidden behind the massive gfx card) and they seem to be in solid enough.

The SSD is held within a tray in the PSU side of my case (Carbide Air 540) and the HDD is in the transparent/MB side in one of the Hot-Bays provided. Do I need to enable these hoy bays or something for the HDD to be found?

Also - I'm about 30 minutes in to this new pc so bear with me..) when I enter the bios (had a nosey around) should it show my Overclocking settings in there? ( set to 4.4Ghz) or do I tell by using CPU-Z etc when I'm up and running properly.

Regards

Benjamin

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there,
To open disk management in windows 8,
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm
For windows 7,click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.(this will delete all data)

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
hdd's 1.jpg
Thanks for helping dude..

In disk management it finds my DVD drive and the C:\ (120gb SSD). No sign of the 2TB drive.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
View attachment 4446
Thanks for helping dude..

In disk management it finds my DVD drive and the C:\ (120gb SSD). No sign of the 2TB drive.
If it's not showing in disk management, check the drive isn't disabled in bios settings,
If it's not showing in bios check the sata & power connections to the hard drive & the sata port connection on the motherboard,one may have come loose in transit.

Last edited:

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
If it's not showing in disk management, check the drive isn't disabled in bios settings,
If it's not showing in bios check the sata & power connections to the hard drive & the sata port connection on the motherboard,one may have come loose in transit.

It's not showing in the Bios at all. I've unplugged the sata/MB connections once and will try again. I can't see the power connections to the HDD because its using a Hot bay area - will try and move.

This is the hot bay area(not my picture) hotbay.jpg

I cant move it as PCS have used cable tidys to lock it in place, the tray is immovable for the second unless i cut the cable tidy

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
After a spot of lunch, I undid the cable tidy so the hot swap tray was able to move. Took it out and pushed back in firmly, voila, 2TB E Drive for the win. Thanks Vanthus for your time + rep to you

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Your CPU will run at stock speeds until it needs the extra oomph, that's when your overclock will kick in.