Desktop os situation

Munj

Hi when I ordered my pc from pcs I did so without buying an operating system. This is because my friend has windows vista installed on his laptop so I thought that you could simple put that on a USB and install it. However I'm not sure how you would do that or even if u can. If anyone could help that'll be great.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Even if it's a retail version of windows your friend has you can only use it on the one computer at a time,if he doesn't have a disk it's more than likely to be an OEM version,which means it's tied to the computer it came with.

steaky360

What's an oem version

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically it means the product is meant to be sold with new PC's etc. Unfortunately it is a moot point as Vanthus pointed out even if its a retail (ie not OEM) version you can only use one key on one computer at a time so your friend wouldn't be able to use his laptop if you installed it on yours.

Rakk

The Awesome
What's an oem version
OEM= Original equipment manufacturer
Basically Windows comes in retail versions and OEM versions
OEM versions are cheaper but are tied to the machine with which they are bought and cannot be transferred to another machine, they cannot be bought separately from a machine.

steaky360

Its good if you know how to use it, other users have more experience with it than me (who basically has the experience to know its potentially tricky if you're inexperienced... like me :p). Again, I'd recommend not solely using it if you've not used it before. But then again, you might just be able to use it quickly!

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
Ah well thanks guys just out of interest is Linux any good

The difference between windows and UNIX operating systems (linux included) is that when you have a problem with your computer in windows you turn it off and on again. In UNIX you think, now what commands can I run when I fix this etc etc. Get windows 7 one way or another unless you really consider yourself a power user. Vista is awful. Avoid it like the plague - my last laptop was never the same after I upgraded to vista (for a week) and then downgraded to xp again.