Deus Ex Human Revolution

TrustMeItsWorthIt

Gold Level Poster
Hi,
I think this might be a ridiculous question (as the game isnt out yet) but im buying a rig for gaming, specifically Deus Ex and Skyrim.
From looking over a couple of CPU comparisons, it seems that OCing your processor can have some massive results where frame rate is concerned, but only on certain games, those that are CPU centric (right term?) as apposed to GPU limited.
My question is, does anyone know is Deus Ex GPU limited or will improving the CPU improve the frame rate as it seems to with some games?

Sorry for the long foreword to the question, i didnt really know how to ask it:)

Thanks for your time

*EDIT*
For anyone who cares apparently the games CPU bound so it should improve with an OC'd CPU

Last edited:

Gishank

Bright Spark
Given neither Deus Ex: HR or Skyrim have been released, no one can say wether or not your rig will be able to excel in playing it other than by looking at the games (current) released requirements. However as Deus Ex has *alot* of dynamic content as far as has been shown/announced a better CPU may aid partially. However CPU generally only benefits games with very intensive CPU usage such as Civilization.

TrustMeItsWorthIt

Gold Level Poster
well I don't want to give this any publicity but there's a way to play the first 1/3 of Deus Ex. I'm basing the fact that its not GPU limited on tests run on the BETA version, which I know I'snt going to be totally accurate but the benchmarks I've seen show that the BETA can definitely surpass the GPU's performance and I cant see the finished product being suddenly GPU limited so I'm assuming the final game to be the same as the BETA in this regard.
Your right though, Deus Ex wont be as intensive as games like civilisation or total war but I want it to play on highest settings with high Fps so im just hedging my bets really.

cheers for your help

Gishank

Bright Spark
The leaked version was an old 2010 E3 build according to an official announcement by Eidos, so it can be assumed that graphically and performence wise it'll be more polished. But that subject is a tad sketchy and I guess we should leave it at that.

dananski

Bringing back an old thread, I know, but I thought I'd throw in that now the game's come out it does seem quite cpu-limited. I'm continuously maxing out both cores on my E8400@3GHz and not getting a smooth framerate.

Shall try it on my new laptop later, since it has a faster processor but slower graphics. My theory is that it will run better as it needs more processor. Same goes for Civ 5, Shogun Total War 2 and Portal 2, which I've compared between the two machines and found my laptop beats my gaming PC :/ Kinda makes it pointless having a powerful graphics card if every game I play these days seems to only care about CPU. *grumble*

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
not really looked at cpu useage, however i do know i can run at 6000 x 1080 on full spec with full AA no problem at all.

dananski

Well, I've checked the performance on the laptop and I was kinda right: the game is a bit smoother and only sometimes maxes out the cpu, but the effect is not quite as pronounced as I was expecting. Oddly enough, CPU usage seems to scale with resolution, whereas traditionally games will be running pretty much the same stuff in the cpu regardless of your graphics settings - if you're doing graphics on the CPU when there's a dedicated graphics chip for it, you've coded it wrong. Of course, the CPU has to feed data to the graphics card, so there's a bit more work there, but it shouldn't be that much...

I'm not surprised Frenchy's system can handle it as he says. Moral of the story, get a better-paying job and buy yourself the best spec PC you can! Show-off :p