Direct Audio Capture Question

Tom DWC

If for example, I was to capture audio directly from the output with software (in this case from the onboard audio on my laptop) and save it to a .wav file, is the overall quality of the file still going to be limited/determined by the quality of my sound device? Or because it's saving exactly what is being sent from the original (in this case high quality/uncompressed) files, will it not actually matter?

I mean because obviously background noise isn't a factor as it's a direct capture and even if I change the volume it won't make a difference, even if I mute it. Which makes me think it won't matter, but I'm not quite sure. Can't get my head around it!

Badly explained question, sorry.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A wav file doesn't compress audio so no quality is lost transferring these files,but at the end of the day it will still depend if the quality of your sound device can take full advantage of the quality of the file.Not sure if that answers your question though. :)

Tom DWC

but at the end of the day it will still depend if the quality of your sound device can take full advantage of the quality of the file.

That's the bit that's got me flummoxed! :) Not sure if the software captures the data of the actual file or if it is reliant on what the device is actually capable of producing. Ergh confusing. Will have to ask one of my lecturers if I remember.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
That's the bit that's got me flummoxed! :) Not sure if the software captures the data of the actual file or if it is reliant on what the device is actually capable of producing. Ergh confusing. Will have to ask one of my lecturers if I remember.
I think I see see what you mean,it could be down to the capability of the software and/or audio device to determine the quality of the audio captured.

Last edited:

Tom DWC

Yeah.

I just converted the .wav files to .flac for backup purposes then to .ogg and put that on to my phone which sounds infinitely better for playback than the lappy through my headphones.

And it sounds all good to my ears so even if there is a difference it probably isn't all that noticeable without very high end equipment. So I guess it's not worth worrying about.