Disable PXE network booting on Optimus II laptop?

Dimitri

Hello,

I cannot find any option in the bios to disable network booting messages on my laptop.

Related specs should be:
Optimus II laptop
Mainboard: Clevo w150hrm
Bios: American Megatrends
Network card: JMicron Technology JMC250 Gigabit ethernet controller

I already set the boot order of the devices with the network card as last, but this didn't give any effect.
Couldn't find any way to disable network booting or PXE functionality anywhere.

When I got the laptop it came with a preinstalled version of Windows 7 and I saw that the boot times were instant as it didn't check for network booting, so it can be disabled somehow.
I then had to format to install my own OS, and now it complains about it at every boot.

When the ethernet cable is inserted at boot, it even triplicates the boot time to perform its checks.

Below, three photos I took to illustrate the case.
Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Dimitri

CameraZOOM-20120103224119.jpg CameraZOOM-20120103224134.jpg CameraZOOM-20120103224233.jpg

Gorman

Author Level
On the BOOT menu screen press f3 and ensure the first hard drive is above the second, at the moment its not being detected and the second hard drive has no OS on it, hence the attempt to PXE boot.

Apologies for missing this post it seems to have been buried.

Dimitri

Hi Gorman,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately no solution yet.

In the bios Boot tab I pressed F3, saved and rebooted; still the same. Only boot options listed in there are the SSD drive with Win7 and the network card; the second internal HDD is not listed (no OS on this). But this drive shows in the list when I press F7 (boot options) at the start, is listed in the Main tab of the bios, and works fine once booted.

The drives:

Untitled.png

I thought it was because I marked the second HDD as active some time ago, to install Win7, so fiddling with the "active" status of the drives I got myself in even more trouble :p but I resolved that and returned to the original situation as in the screenshot.

So, currently still having the slow boot with network checks.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Dimitri

Last edited:

Dimitri

Hello!

I had to mess some more before I could realize what the issue was and finally fix it.

How it originated:
- while running the trial Win7 present in the PC (installed on the SSD drive) I copied the files from a Win7 DVD to the 1 TB internal hard drive and marked that drive's partition as Active
- so I rebooted and launched a new Win7 installation from the internal 1 TB hard drive
- everything was working fine, but I was getting the PXE boot delay from my thread at the top
- this was due to the second hard drive still being set as active, so (as I understand it) it was still being used as the OS boot drive, without being able to properly boot it from there.. and then somehow it was checking for network booting and finally the SSD hard drive where Win7 was installed

How I solved it:
- made an external HDD bootable with the Win7 DVD contents
- marked the internal 1 TB drive as Inactive and marked instead the SSD drive as Active
- rebooted and started from the external HDD
- repaired startup (one of the Win7 install disk options), rebooted when asked
- rebooted and started from the external HDD
- repaired startup, rebooted when asked
- then it started in my existing Win7 installation without any issues anymore; no more network boot check!

Hope this helps somebody else in the future.