Dive off the deep end!

snout

My iMac sadly broke on Christmas day, so I decided to buy my first new desktop for 4/5 odd years. Pretty happy with the spec. Kinda hoping it's ok in other peoples perspectives! :)

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

2nd Graphics Card

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£48)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series (£98)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£19)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2011 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£12)

DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
NONE

Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision
GeForce 3D Vision Kit & ViewSonic FuHzion 22" VX2268wm 120Hz LCD bundle (£319)

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Looking forward to its arrival....:)

Gorman

Author Level
Hi! nice spec!

As is customery here when people post a spec, it gets ripped apart. So my turn first!

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved

Nice case

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Nice CPU

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Good board

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Having the I7 950 you may benefit from triple channel ram, so the config should be 3-6-12gb etc

Graphics Card

2nd Graphics Card

Good cards, I would consider going for on 580 though and another later on if more grunt is needed. Coming from an imac you are probably going to be getting more grunt than you can handle with the spec so far!

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

Consider an SSD or one of the black drives with 64mb cache

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£48)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)

all good

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)

Unless you are planning to overclock one of the cheaper coolers would be just as good

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series (£98)

You only need this if you have a particular interest in audio, in games there will not be much difference between this and onboard, apart from the £100 dent in your wallet of course

Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£19)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2011 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£12)

DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
NONE

Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision
GeForce 3D Vision Kit & ViewSonic FuHzion 22" VX2268wm 120Hz LCD bundle (£319)

Niiiiiiiiiice

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Maybe update to the £5 option

snout

Thanks for the comments guys.

Do you think the single 580 would bring better performance in games than the dual 470's?

I do intend on using the system for some medium range audio editing so definitely want to keep the sound card.

Regarding the warranty and changes to things, I've requested the finance option, been accepted and sent off the DD mandate this morning. Are changes possible in this case, can I call up and make a DC payment for the warranty etc?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - any changes can be paid by debit/credit card. Your original finance agreement will stay as it is.

For the graphics, I'm not 100% sure whather two 470's will beat a single 580 - they probably will. But having a single 580 will allow you to upgrade to dual 580's in the future, should you feel it is necessary.

snout

Thanks for your help, as stated in my Welcome post, new ground for me. I've built computers before but never to this scale and I simply wouldn't trust myself!

Think I'll keep the graphics cards and the sound card.

For the other changes like the memory, hard drive, cheaper cooler and Silver warranty, is that something I can ask about the cost on the forum or do I call the sales team?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
To amend your order, simply login to your account where it can be amended and paid for online :)

snout

Hmmm, doesn't appear to be that option as yet. It's at the finance accepted stage. Will it change once they've received my documentation.

God, I hate asking questions like this (I used to work in Customer Service believe it or not!)

Gorman

Author Level
You are correct, once the finance is all sorted you will be able to make amendments or just call us on Tuesday.

snout

Just a quick question before my order turns to 'Processing' and I can make the changes.

USB 3.0 - I do a lot of transferring of files, I'd like this facility, but if I went with the USB 3.0 Express Card, does this not have the facility for USB 2.0 as well. Will it only be the two ports?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 - sop the two ports will work with all USB devices.

snout

Hmmm, I can't have it along with the sound card and the wireless adapter due to the 2 PCI limitation anyways.

Thanks for the info, I understood the backwards compatibility, just wondered if there was only the 2 ports.....:)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You can! :D

Change the wireless card to a PCI-E wireless card, then it will let you add the USB card.

Meds

I think there's confusion here.

You have ordered the ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard. This comes with the following as standard;

- 2 x USB 3.0 Ports (at rear)
- 4 x USB 2.0 Ports (at rear)
- You will also probably have 4 x USB 2.0 Ports at the front too.

If you add the USB 3.0 USB PCI Card, it will take the total of USB 3.0 Ports on your PC from 2 to 4. But regardless of this you will still have the USB 2.0 Ports anyway.

Hope this helps?

snout

Thanks Meds, you've made my day (even though I feel stupid as I looked up the motherboard and everything before I asked!).

Just need to wait for it to change to 'Processing' and I can change my order a tiny bit :)

snout

Amendments all done. Went with the SSD drive for Windows mainly, cheaper cooler and the extra warranty.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Now the waiting game begins :)